General Discussion (Archived)

Off Topic

Read 722 times

AstroCat

• 20 Posts
  • Cosmos Kitty?
Questions about the forum
« on: December 05, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »
A lot of things seem to be broken on the forum: as far as I can tell, profile pictures can't be uploaded and I don't see anyone with a profile picture at all. The UI seems really squirrelly in places: broken images, icons and buttons not loading or loading where they aren't supposed to load. This seemed to happen on my phone, which I assumed was because it wasn't designed for a mobile browser; but now I see that is the case on desktop as well. Is it my browser (chrome) or is this just the way it is? It's not that big of a deal as long as it works, I'm just curious whether I'm missing a better UI experience somehow.
""Change nos lots, crible les fléaux, à commencer par le temps" te chantent ces enfants. "Elève n'importe où la subtance de nos fortunes et de nos voeux" on t'en prie.

Arrivée de toujours, qui t'en iras partout." -- À une Raison, Arthur Rimbaud

AstroCat

• 20 Posts
  • Cosmos Kitty?
Re: Questions about the forum
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
Also, what do the numbers mean to the left of each post? (For instance right now, this post has 0 / 1 as viewed from the main page)? I'm assuming this is something like "times viewed/times responded" or something like that?

Is there an edit function?
""Change nos lots, crible les fléaux, à commencer par le temps" te chantent ces enfants. "Elève n'importe où la subtance de nos fortunes et de nos voeux" on t'en prie.

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 14649 Posts
  • WCBP - http://tinyurl.com/agmwhpj
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 11:22:18 AM »
Also, what do the numbers mean to the left of each post? (For instance right now, this post has 0 / 1 as viewed from the main page)? I'm assuming this is something like "times viewed/times responded" or something like that?

The numbers are just a reference for which post on the page it is.  No one really references them though since you can just quote from the post.

it is a bit of a pain to have to manually write the formatting codes, but you get used to it.  [ quote ] is how you quote [ / quote ] 

[ b ]  [ / b ] is bold
[ url ] address goes here [ / url ] for links

etc.

There is a pinned comment with a reference link for the formatting codes.

AstroCat

• 20 Posts
  • Cosmos Kitty?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 01:34:43 PM »

The numbers are just a reference for which post on the page it is.  No one really references them though since you can just quote from the post.

it is a bit of a pain to have to manually write the formatting codes, but you get used to it.  [ quote ] is how you quote [ / quote ] 

[ b ]  [ / b ] is bold
[ url ] address goes here [ / url ] for links

etc.

There is a pinned comment with a reference link for the formatting codes.

Thanks for that.

Regarding the UI, is it just generally messed up or is that something specific to me and the way I'm browsing? It's functional, just looks buggy.

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 14649 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 01:38:08 PM »
Generally messed up.  It has been somewhat broken for years since they last "fixed" it.  You get used to it after a while.  I don't tend to have too many problems using Chrome though, but perhaps I am just so accustomed to it, I don't realize.

The Beego

• God Emperor of Dune
  • Administrator
  • 409 Posts
  • Literally PM me about anything!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 03:19:08 PM »
A lot of things seem to be broken on the forum: as far as I can tell, profile pictures can't be uploaded and I don't see anyone with a profile picture at all. The UI seems really squirrelly in places: broken images, icons and buttons not loading or loading where they aren't supposed to load. This seemed to happen on my phone, which I assumed was because it wasn't designed for a mobile browser; but now I see that is the case on desktop as well. Is it my browser (chrome) or is this just the way it is? It's not that big of a deal as long as it works, I'm just curious whether I'm missing a better UI experience somehow.

Yeah, thanks for your question about it.

Unfortunately, it's not just your experience.

I haven't been a mod here for too long, but ever since I signed on I've been trying to make some waves with getting at least some of the forum bugs fixed.

I dream of a total overhaul and a bringing of the boards into the 21st century! (Heck, I'd settle for the 19th century lol)

I have been in contact with the appropriate people at Reasonable Faith about the forums, but it turns out a total overhaul is financially beyond what we can do currently.

To be clear and transparent: it's more on me than anyone why the boards are still in their current state. I didn't make them like this, of course, but I haven't put in the amount of effort I would like towards seeing it remedied. I hope to change that soon, however. (Although, as the other users will testify, I guess I've been 'hoping' along those lines for months now. I promise I'm trying!)

Maybe this Christmas break season will see some progress in this area.

Until then, please ask for any clarification on how things work or where things are if you're confused.
'Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory.'

-Aragorn; The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Soren

• 5810 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 04:24:27 PM »

Yeah, thanks for your question about it.

Unfortunately, it's not just your experience.

I haven't been a mod here for too long, but ever since I signed on I've been trying to make some waves with getting at least some of the forum bugs fixed.

I dream of a total overhaul and a bringing of the boards into the 21st century! (Heck, I'd settle for the 19th century lol)

I have been in contact with the appropriate people at Reasonable Faith about the forums, but it turns out a total overhaul is financially beyond what we can do currently.

To be clear and transparent: it's more on me than anyone why the boards are still in their current state. I didn't make them like this, of course, but I haven't put in the amount of effort I would like towards seeing it remedied. I hope to change that soon, however. (Although, as the other users will testify, I guess I've been 'hoping' along those lines for months now. I promise I'm trying!)

Maybe this Christmas break season will see some progress in this area.

Until then, please ask for any clarification on how things work or where things are if you're confused.
Beego, you feeling responsible for the forum not being up to snuff is like Atlas feeling bad because the world slips occasionally because of the sweat on his shoulders from holding the dang thing up for so long. From the outside at least, it looks like you do great, indispensable  work, but there's only so much you can do with inadequate resources. A heartfelt thanks.

The Beego

• God Emperor of Dune
  • Administrator
  • 409 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 05:09:09 PM »
Beego, you feeling responsible for the forum not being up to snuff is like Atlas feeling bad because the world slips occasionally because of the sweat on his shoulders from holding the dang thing up for so long. From the outside at least, it looks like you do great, indispensable  work, but there's only so much you can do with inadequate resources. A heartfelt thanks.

Hey! No comparing the moderation to pagan deities! xD

But thank you!
I still feel like I have to take such responsibility since most of the old mods aren't really active and I'm the only one left from the new batch.
I feel like the only real link between the forum members and the people who might be able to fix the forum (unless the regular users start petitioning the 'higher-ups' at RF! (which is something I've thought about organizing, just for good measure)).
'Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory.'

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 14649 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 06:34:56 PM »
Have you ever considered putting out a call to any of the programmers on the site to see if any are able to help update things?  I am sure there are some who would be willing to help without it being cost prohibitive. I guess organizing that with volunteers would be tricky though.

If there are minor quality of life things that could be done and they are within my scope of knowledge, id be willing to chip in a bit to help.

The Beego

• God Emperor of Dune
  • Administrator
  • 409 Posts
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »
Have you ever considered putting out a call to any of the programmers on the site to see if any are able to help update things?  I am sure there are some who would be willing to help without it being cost prohibitive. I guess organizing that with volunteers would be tricky though.

If there are minor quality of life things that could be done and they are within my scope of knowledge, id be willing to chip in a bit to help.

Yes! It's in my circle of options!

I'm trying exhaust a few others first, but thanks for being willing!
I'll be in touch (and maybe put out an open call) if and when we need it.