Retired Boards (Archived)

Ontological Argument

Read 11193 times

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
Re: Is this reasoning logically valid?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 07:57:59 PM »

It´s not strictly formally valid , but, it can be made so.
The little details notwithstanding, yes, your argument is also valid.
Now, all that is needed is to know what is the support for the mains premises.

I agree the formalism may be improved.

I truly hope everybody understands my point. I do not want to make a valid argument against God, nor to find a specific weakness in WLC's argument. I wanted however to prove it wrong, so I built my 1'...5' argument. If somebody considers sound WLC's Ontological argument, they must consider my argument also to be sound, since if follows exactly the same line of reasoning. Therefore, the reasoning can't be sound.

If you have 2 arguments with contradictory conclusions, at least one must have a false conclusion, but, it does not follow that both are unsound.

In fact, if we hold to the law of excluded middle it is the case that either p or not p.

As I mentioned, what we need is to know the support for the main premises, of your argument.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:10:19 PM by ontologicalme »

igr

• 1055 Posts
Re: Is this reasoning logically valid?
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 04:21:27 AM »
A Being that is Maximal has the maximum possible number of attributes/properties/characteristics, and it has them in the maximum amount. 

So proponents talk about a few omnis but stop there.  A Being that is Maximal is more than these omnis because there are additional attributes/properties/characteristics that are not in the list of omnis.

So the Being that is Maximal exists is all possible contexts and dimensions.  The Being that is Maximal also is everything that exists.  Don't agree?  Compare a Being that is omni-only with a Being that is the same omnis plus my extras.  Mine is a greater Being.