Retired Boards (Archived)

Christian Particularism

Read 6174 times

Purusha

• 1 Posts
Best Argument for Christ's Divinity
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:48:54 AM »
Dear Dr Craig,

I love your work, and I have been reading your writing and watching your videos for over a decade. During this time, I have felt that the best argument that I've heard from you regarding Christ's divinity is that Christ claimed to be God, coupled with the historical fact that he resurrected from the dead. While I find this to be a brilliant and potent argument, and I do accept that the Resurrection is a historical fact, I am still personally unsure whether Christ explicitly claimed to be God. Could you please let me know which quote or quotes from Christ you find the most convincing regarding his claim to be God, along with Chapter and Verse numbers?

Thank you very much,

Purusha

Gordon Tubbs

• 6654 Posts
    • Personal Blog
Re: Best Argument for Christ's Divinity
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
Purusha,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, Dr. Craig rarely if ever responds directly on these boards. Your best bet is to send him an e-mail or contact him via the Reasonable Faith Podcast!

Anyhow, your request for Bible verses should not go unanswered! The quest for scripture as it relates to the divinity of Christ is part of the theological doctrine of Christology. Below are some of the most common verses used to support the divinity of Christ, based on things he said or said about him.

In my opinion -- John 10:25-30 is the most convincing testimony. Jesus claims divinity, and points to the things that he has said and done that testify directly to his divine nature.

Enjoy!

Matthew 16:13-16 (NIV ’84)
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

John 1:1-2, 14 (NIV ‘11)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was with God in the beginning. … 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 3:13, 16 (KJV)
13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. … 16For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 4:4-6 (NIV ’11)
5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.

John 10:25-30 (NIV ’11)
25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

Philippians 2:5-8 (ESV)
5Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Hebrews 1:3-4 (NIV ‘11)
 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

Hebrews 2:14, 17-18 (NIV ‘11)
14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil—
17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Colossians 1:15, 19-20 (NIV ‘11)
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Daniel 7:13-14 (AMP)
13I saw in the night visions, and behold, on the clouds of the heavens came One like a Son of man, and He came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before Him. 14And there was given Him [the Messiah] dominion and glory and kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion which shall not pass away, and His kingdom is one which shall not be destroyed.

Matthew 20:26-28 (NIV ‘84)
26 Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. 27 And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Mark 2:5-10 (NIV ‘84)
5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”  6 Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, 7 “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” 8 Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things? 9 Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins…” He said to the paralytic, 11 “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.”

Mark 14:60-64 (NKJV)
60 And the high priest stood up in the midst and asked Jesus, saying, “Do You answer nothing? What is it these men testify against You?” 61 But He kept silent and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked Him, saying to Him, “Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?” 62 Jesus said, “I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.” 63 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “What further need do we have of witnesses? 64 You have heard the blasphemy! What do you think?” And they all condemned Him to be deserving of death.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:07:58 PM by GordonTubbs »
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

jayceeii

• 1630 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »
That Jesus did not declare Himself to be God at first seems to be a disservice to the creation. If the Creator embodies among His people, isn’t this the best news of all? Yet this could only have occurred where the Lord was allowed to bestow authentic and close guidance for His planet, which happened not to be the case for Earth. To have declared Himself God would have meant declaring His own authentic attributes and standards. The result of this is that Christians wouldn’t just be saying, “We are distant from God, we have sinned.” Instead they’d have (long) lists of exactly how they’re always going wrong.

In Jesus, humanity was given God without His attributes or standards. Instead they’ve devised their own standards, mistaking a few minor suggestions from scripture that seem to be in line with their purposes, as actual guidance from the Maker. This is the meaning of the Garden of Eden, that men insist on eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, which is to say making themselves the standard instead of listening to the Lord.

Triple Scooby

• 517 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »
The entire human problem portrayed over and over and over again throughout the bible is the arrogance and pride of man thinking he knows better than God.  Don't be that guy.

25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

jayceeii

• 1630 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
The entire human problem portrayed over and over and over again throughout the bible is the arrogance and pride of man thinking he knows better than God.  Don't be that guy.

I used to think I could have God-experience, but alas! It isn’t so. If you know of a high command from God I am not following, let me hear about it. The world has been swollen with men bearing swords or guns, convinced God is behind every devilish plot of theirs. I used to fear God too, but I got over it. Now I see the Invisible One and I share problems.

Jesus is the one thinking He was better than God, offering to do what God has no power to do. Yet the fate He offered here to the myriad sinners is one they will consider blessed. God’s creation is not a place of suffering, even when souls are given powers for which they are not prepared. All receive what they want in the end, but it isn’t what they guess.