DRAM

• 2 Posts
I believe that scripture (Genesis 1:26 & Deuteronomy 6:4) conclusively reveal the Trinitarian nature of God.  I rest on the authority of that.  I also believe that we know by way of experience that God is Triune.  He is who we are praying to (Father), the one who prompts us to pray (Holy Spirit), and the one thru whom we pray (Jesus).  It makes sense that God would be super-personal as His ways are above our ways.  CS Lewis drove this home with his illustration of a line, a square, and a cube.  He also did it with the differing levels of effort needed to catch/find plants (easy), animals (harder), humans (50/50), spiritual forces (initiative on their side), and God (only if He reveals Himself).  It makes sense that their are some aspects of His nature that are too great for even the brightest human minds to fathom.  It also seems to make his timelessness before creation as a personal God reasonable, having no need of the creation.  We may not grasp the concept completely, but we do experience the reality. 

Even though we can have the faintest of notions of the Trinity.....I do not believe that this doctrine of God's nature is fully comprensible to our finite and inferior minds.  This by no means suggests that we shouldn't concern ourselves with examining the idea in order to try to gain deeper insights though.  For we should be prepared to give a reason for our faith at all times.  What I want to know is if revelation is enough for something to be objectively true.  Is there really a firm, trustworthy foundation in any sort of human reasoning?  Or does all human reasoning have the potential to be dangerous/misleading?  Does objectivity require intellectual assent or the ability to be fully comprehended?  Does objectivity even require partial comprehension?  Do incomprehensible facts necessarily break the laws of logic?   

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • Atheist in Louisiana
Things can be objective independently of our ability to understand them.  If something is incomprehensible, we are, by definition, unable to comprehend it.  That means we wouldn't be able to determine if it was objective or not.  We also couldn't determine if it was good or bad, or even what it is that we're talking about.  In order to talk about something, it has to be comprehensible in some way.

If something is partially comprehensible, then I would worry that the parts that I think I comprehend, are not properly comprehended.  If there is some part that is incomprehensible about something, then I don't understand how I can even know which parts are comprehensible and which aren't with any degree of reliability.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

Aaron Massey

• 5542 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
Re: Does the incomprehensability of the Trinity affect its objectivity?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
Esoteric nonsense. Genesis 1:26 is referring to the heavenly beings, angels etc..

It is not reffering to the persons of God. (which there is none)

Deuteronomy 6:4 Is simply enforcing the monotheistic religion.   There is no trinity there.

In light of Deuteronomy 6:4 you should read:  Luke 4:8 & Matthew 4:10
Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."