General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 656 times
Calling all theists and atheists
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:18:20 AM »
If God is all-knowing, then how can life be a test if God already knows the answers?

Theists, can you provide some explanations?

Atheists can you play devils advocate and come up with some possible reconciliations? or do you concede that there can be no answer to this? The best I can come up with is that it wouldn't be just for God to punish people for things they haven't actually carried, regardless of god foreknowing that it would happen anyway.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
Re: Calling all theists and atheists
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:21:32 AM »
Different xtians and other theists will offer different explanations.

From some POVs, like Calvinism and Universalism, life is not a test.
From some POVs, like Open Theism, God does not know the future.

As an open theist universalist I don't see the primary focus of life being a test, nor do I think God knows the future.

DT1213

• 346 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:32:51 AM »
If God is all-knowing, then how can life be a test if God already knows the answers?

Atheists can you play devils advocate and come up with some possible reconciliations? or do you concede that there can be no answer to this? The best I can come up with is that it wouldn't be just for God to punish people for things they haven't actually carried, regardless of god foreknowing that it would happen anyway.

To me your question sounds a bit like this "How can a maths test be a test when the examiner has the answers?"

The point being even if the examiner knows all the answers it is still a test for the person taking the test. As the post above states there are many different explanations a theist could hold. Personally I don't think life is a 'test'.
"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering" Saint Augustine

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather fought a boxing match last year. Manny lost that fight.

I watch the fight online. I now know the outcome of the fight. In a sense, I've become now all-knowing regarding the fight.

Question. I know who won the fight but did I do anything to influence the outcome of the fight?

Now apply the same thing to a being that exists TIMELESSLY.

God watched the fight between the two boxers. He exists outside of time. He already knows the outcome of the match.

Question. Did his omniscience had any affect on the match?

GRWelsh

• 4693 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
To me your question sounds a bit like this "How can a maths test be a test when the examiner has the answers?"

The point being even if the examiner knows all the answers it is still a test for the person taking the test. As the post above states there are many different explanations a theist could hold. Personally I don't think life is a 'test'.

I think your analogy is flawed, and a more accurate formulation would be something like: "How can a maths test be a test when the examiner knows how everyone will score, in advance?" 

I think the best answer -- from a theistic point of view -- would have something to do with the experience itself.  It could be more about letting the test-takers have the experience and their own firsthand knowledge of how they scored, and why (i.e., studying hard, proper preparation, etc.).  The purpose of the test isn't so the examiner can increase his knowledge, but so that the test-takers can learn something about themselves and have this experience of going through the test.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:56:54 AM by GRWelsh »
The morning sun rose and burned off the ghosts; it seems they were nothing but shapes in the fog.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »

An examiner wouldn't know the marks that people score in the exam until the students actually take the test, so it's not the same thing.

DT1213

• 346 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »

I think your analogy is flawed, and a more accurate formulation would be something like: "How can a maths test be a test when the examiner knows how everyone will score, in advance?" 

I think the best answer -- from a theistic point of view -- would have something to do with the experience itself.  It could be more about letting the test-takers have the experience and their own firsthand knowledge of how they scored, and why (i.e., studying hard, proper preparation, etc.).  The purpose of the test isn't so the examiner can increase his knowledge, but so that the test-takers can learn something about themselves and have this experience of going through the test.

Thank you for that yes I would agree it is all about the experience itself. So even if the examiner knew in advance how people would score it is still a test for the people taking it.
"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering" Saint Augustine

Stephen

• 5649 Posts
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 10:09:10 AM »
I'll admit to thinking the question was just like how DT initially characterized here.

So it sounds more like the question ought to be "Why does God put us through a test when he already knows how we will score?"

Frankly I don't really know with any certainty. But it's at least possible that there is benefit from having going through said test such that it comes to bear on the final score, where had you not gone through the test itself, you wouldn't have done so well.

That is to say, your grade would be better had you gone through the test, then it would be had you not.

AnimatedDirt

• 7821 Posts
  • Alwys a sinner, Alwys penitent, Alwys right w/ God
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »

Aren't you glad God doesn't just tell you how you would've done and then drops the gavel on you?

It's a bit humorous that when God gives choice, He's unfair...and if He were to remove choice, He's unfair.

I'm glad God gives us the ability to choose.

People are amusing.