General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 4773 times

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
Re: Are Christians being logically fallacious?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 06:13:31 PM »
We often hear Christians dismissing terrorist movements in Africa such as the "Lord's Resistance Army" as not real Christians. This is a No True Scotsman fallacy. Why are they being logically fallacious?

Jesus cites the mark of a christian. Not by what they call themselves, or even what they call God or Jesus.
"Why do you call me Lord, and do not do they things I say?"

The christian is known by their fruit. Not their titles, 'Lords Resistance Army" or otherwise.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
Christans need to persevere for their faith to be effectual:

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. 1 Cor 15:1-2 NIV
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

RichardChad

• 2427 Posts
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 07:24:42 PM »
We often hear Christians dismissing terrorist movements in Africa such as the "Lord's Resistance Army" as not real Christians. This is a No True Scotsman fallacy. Why are they being logically fallacious?

Christianity has a specific criteria for inclusion, the indwelling Holy Spirit.
If you have it, you are a Christian.
If you don't you are not.

It is extremely unlikely that there are members of the "Lord's Resistance Army" that have the indwelling Holy Spirit, that being said the more accurate thing to say is that the members of the "Lord's Resistance Army" are certainly not acting as if they do.

I'll believe you don't believe in objective moral values when you stop using terms like "right" and "wrong".

I'll believe you believe in determinism when you start saying things like "I'm so sorry you're determined to think that way"

Rostos

• 10433 Posts
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »

I am looking for that passage in the bible where Jesus commands his followers to commit terrorist attacks...I cant seem to find it...maybe you can help?
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

alex1212

• 777 Posts
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
Let's define it as follower of Christ... that's how I am defining it. Clearly, Stalin was not a Christian under that definition

I hate to ask this, but how do you define "follower of Christ".  Someone who liked some things he said, or someone who follows everything he said to the letter ?  If the latter, then I think there are few to none real Christians.

I doubt you hate asking. A follower of Christ is someone who strives to follow what he said. Liking his teachings is too broad because that would include Buddhists, Hindus, etc.

Rostos

• 10433 Posts
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really dont know why Atheists look at the actions of "believers" as opposed to what scripture says when judging a philosophy/religion.

One of the greatest mysteries of mankind.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

Kalamity

• 584 Posts
  • Catholic
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 12:14:48 AM »
I agree with jbiemans. And if the means by which one determines true faith (and thus a "real" Christian) is perseverance until death, then one cannot even determine the genuineness of one's own faith.

bdsimon

• 7256 Posts
  • δοῦλος
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 04:25:40 AM »
I agree with jbiemans. And if the means by which one determines true faith (and thus a "real" Christian) is perseverance until death, then one cannot even determine the genuineness of one's own faith.
This seems to be a bit contradictory to the confidence of 1 John. Unless of course you are Calvinist, then a systematic approach would tell you that you cannot know if you are saved (which isn't really the question here).

I embrace both the perseverance that lapwing noted and the drawing of John 6. Which also includes a passage that many draw upon for once saved always saved. I don't see an either or dichotomy. I embrace it all.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 04:51:15 AM »
Maybe there's a difference between 'knowing' you are saved, and being able to 'know' someone else is.

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 14649 Posts
  • WCBP - http://tinyurl.com/agmwhpj
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 04:54:01 AM »
I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really dont know why Atheists look at the actions of "believers" as opposed to what scripture says when judging a philosophy/religion.

One of the greatest mysteries of mankind.

Really ??

Matthew 7:16-20King James Version (KJV)

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

igr

• 1055 Posts
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 04:55:31 AM »
You know that you are saved in the same way that any believer of any other religion knows that they will achieve the stated goal of their religion.  In all cases it is no more than belief.  You don't get an elephant stamp when you have arrived.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 04:56:43 AM »
That sense of knowledge/belief applies to pretty much all positive claims.

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 14649 Posts
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 04:58:57 AM »
This seems to be a bit contradictory to the confidence of 1 John. Unless of course you are Calvinist, then a systematic approach would tell you that you cannot know if you are saved (which isn't really the question here).

I embrace both the perseverance that lapwing noted and the drawing of John 6. Which also includes a passage that many draw upon for once saved always saved. I don't see an either or dichotomy. I embrace it all.

It sounds like "true Christian" doesn't really hold any meaning to you at all then. If "once saved always saved" is true, then what does it matter if someone lost their faith ?  Of course, then you could say "well, they were never really saved then if they left the faith".  In which case, we are back to the original problem of knowing who is "saved" and who isn't.  We are back to the definitional problem again.

There are also people who believed themselves to be saved and then lost their faith.  What would you say about them?  And if it can happen to them, how can you be sure it won't happen to you.

igr

• 1055 Posts
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 05:01:56 AM »
So does this mean that it isn't enough just to be baptised?  Is there a list of achievements that need to be satisfied in order to be saved?  Do all versions of Christianity agree on this?

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 14649 Posts
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 05:07:03 AM »
No igr, some groups believe in grace alone, some believe in faith alone, some believe in faith + works, etc.