Snoochies

• 4144 Posts
  • Seek, knock, ask
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear." Psalm 46:1-2

* Forum members please note:- Just because I ask you lots of questions, this does not mean I know something better. I am merely asking to seek clarification and arrive at truth the best I can

Re: Britian is a Christian country - David Camerons Easter message.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »
Seems like he's starting the propaganda machine towards nations where Christians are persecuted.     Is the U.K. considering more troop deployments?   

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11516804/David-Cameron-declares-Britain-is-still-a-Christian-country.html

You cannot erode centuries of Christian influence in a few decades. Despite an embrace of idolatry/secularism, some key values are embedded in our social structure, laws and education.

Speaking to a colleague at work this week, he recalled Sunday school teaching, how he found it boring. He also referred to colleagues ever changing relationships. He remembers " thou shall not covet thy neighbour wife," he's been married 20+ years, and how many of his peers are on their 2-3-4-5 relationship. He is not what he would consider an active believer. But the influence of Christian teaching has helped his marriage, even though he may not see the correlation.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »
Hmm Snooch, does the fact we have the Ashes mean you misspelt the name of the country?
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Snoochies

• 4144 Posts
  • Seek, knock, ask
Re: Britain is a Christian country - David Camerons Easter message.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:56:35 PM »
Lol, I'm Aussie, I even slur my typing.

Fixed
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear." Psalm 46:1-2

* Forum members please note:- Just because I ask you lots of questions, this does not mean I know something better. I am merely asking to seek clarification and arrive at truth the best I can

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
It's ironic how the UK is technically a theocracy, yet functionally not one bit.
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 06:16:07 PM »
+1 Snooch

But I do like the Oz sense of humour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfP3B45rIg
though I've been told 4X isn't that good and you'd do better drinking the sweet sherry!

It was the 2015 Easter message about a month before the 2015 General Election, though he didn't end it with "oh and btw vote Tory, you know it makes sense!"

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:33:45 PM by lapwing »
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Jem

• 4509 Posts
  • Avid JW Bible Student
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »
Quote from: Nunovalente
You cannot erode centuries of Christian influence in a few decades. Despite an embrace of idolatry/secularism, some key values are embedded in our social structure, laws and education.

It appears as if these values are all but disappearing in this world, whether we like it or not. The present generation has nothing like the value system with which their parents or grandparents were raised.

Can there be any such thing as a "Christian" country when the leaders of such countries are often atheists? Australia had an atheist Prime Minister at one stage.

If any President or Prime minister is not surrounded by fellow Christians in his administration, then how can their country be called "Christian"? If governments allow and even encourage people of other faiths to openly practice their religion, how can it be a "Christian" nation? They are supposed to encourage worship of the true God, not false ones.

When God claimed Israel as his chosen nation, they were given a land. They were bound by his laws and even foreigners who came to live in Israel had to abide by Israel's laws and worship Israel's God, who tolerated NO worship of other gods.

How can we not see the hypocrisy? What is a "Christian" when all is said and done? Isn't it a follower of Jesus Christ, whom we are supposed to emulate? How do political leaders of so-called "Christian" countries emulate Christ whilst at the same time authorizing bloodshed? 

Any wonder Jesus said his kingdom was no part of this world.
"the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace" Psalm 37:11

Unless otherwise stated, all quoted material taken from WTBTS sources. jw.org

Snoochies

• 4144 Posts
  • Seek, knock, ask
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 06:48:36 PM »
+1 Snooch

But I do like the Oz sense of humour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfP3B45rIg
though I've been told 4X isn't that good and you'd do better drinking the sweet sherry!

QLDers will drink XXXX Gold but the bitter is just that, very bitter. Yuck

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
The problem with the concept of a Christian country is that it is ill defined: people can define it many different ways to suit their own agendas.

Jesus did not plan to institute an earthly state or kingdom at his first coming, saying his kingdom is "not of this world". However, the final objective is for a new heaven and a new earth in which He will reign.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer