General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 4700 times

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
Is Hillary Clinton a woman?
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »
This may seem as an odd question, and it is. But it is a good question in light of the current US presidential elections and LGBT in general.

If gender is a social construct, then people can be man or woman (and in some cases both, or neither) depending on their subjective views. Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner and father of six children, is a well-known recent example. He, or rather she, has been called the most famous transgender woman in the world.

What makes us think that Hillary Clinton is a woman and not a man? Is Hillary Clinton a woman despite her subjective views or in spite of her subjective views? If Hillary Clinton announced tomorrow that she is a 'he', then would Hillary Clinton be a woman candidate or a man candidate?

And if president Barack Obama announced tomorrow that he is a 'she', then would there be a woman president in the White House?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Pragmatic

• 4006 Posts
Re: Is Hillary Clinton a woman?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:39:45 AM »
She's a woman. Next question.
Religion was born when the first con man met the first fool.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Pragmatic, see the Obama question.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Pragmatic

• 4006 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:44:58 AM »
And Obama is male. Regardless of what he or anyone else says.
Religion was born when the first con man met the first fool.

TheBigOhMan

• 8699 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:49:58 AM »
I like to keep it simple. ¿got a dick? Male. ¿ got a vagina? Female. There is a little more nuance for hermafrodites and people born like that but I tend keep it straightfoward and resolve it by chromosome characteristics or sexual organs.

D. Alexander

• 3604 Posts
  • Saucerfulo secrets!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »
Being in a position of privilege makes you a man so of course Hilary is a man.

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »
The whole "I think I am a woman, therefore I am" makes the whole relevance of gender in positions in life a misnomer.
Because those who are physiologically male, we are told to call female if they consider themselves to be. It makes the whole thing a joke and irrelevant.

Before long race will be the next subjective reality, and we will have 50 yr old "children" of whatever gender they please, in positions in life too, etc etc.

Objective morality has been abandoned. Now objective reality has been abandoned. Opinion and feelings defy reality.

In an age of scientific discovery and science having the answer to life, we can't even apply it to the reality of our gender.!
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

Hawke123

• 2415 Posts
  • So much to learn so little time
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
I hope that theists and atheists alike around here can, at the very least, unanimously agree that male and female is determined by biology, not feelings.

This "anything goes" attitude towards sex and gender has utterly left the realm of reality.
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister

“It is always so much easier to attack someone else's position than to create and defend your own.” – Glenn Miller

AnimatedDirt

• 7821 Posts
  • Alwys a sinner, Alwys penitent, Alwys right w/ God
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
I hope that theists and atheists alike around here can, at the very least, unanimously agree that male and female is determined by biology, not feelings.

This "anything goes" attitude towards sex and gender has utterly left the realm of reality.

That's just not how things are going on around.  Many people have the plumbing of a male, yet feel female...and guess what status quo says we should call them?  Whatever they FEEL they are!

We can no longer assume that a person in stereotypical gender specific clothing self-identifies as that gender...cause their feelings are what is important...

Isn't that funny!!  We can take the FEELINGS of people who FEEL something yet are physiologically something different...and we have to treat them as what they feel...but if a Christian "feels God" or the like...the Christian is simply hanging on to bronze-aged sheepherders ideals and is to be knocked down and kept down before those ideals creep into society or grab hold of society anymore than they already have.

But we must respect those that feel they are something they clearly are not...?

How odd...isn't it?
People are amusing.

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »
I hate to sound like Language-Gamer (I really hate it), but wow, you guys have really done your homework on contemporary ideas about gender.

TheBigOhMan

• 8699 Posts
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »
I hate to sound like Language-Gamer (I really hate it), but wow, you guys have really done your homework on contemporary ideas about gender.

It's basically, this:

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 02:56:43 PM »

It's basically, this:

Ha!

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »

That's just not how things are going on around.  Many people have the plumbing of a male, yet feel female...and guess what status quo says we should call them?  Whatever they FEEL they are!

We can no longer assume that a person in stereotypical gender specific clothing self-identifies as that gender...cause their feelings are what is important...

Isn't that funny!!  We can take the FEELINGS of people who FEEL something yet are physiologically something different...and we have to treat them as what they feel...but if a Christian "feels God" or the like...the Christian is simply hanging on to bronze-aged sheepherders ideals and is to be knocked down and kept down before those ideals creep into society or grab hold of society anymore than they already have.

But we must respect those that feel they are something they clearly are not...?

How odd...isn't it?

How true. Pander to the subjective feelings of some. God forbid they should be challenged or put down. But mock the theist all you like.

And more ironically, what they "feel" is unreliable. How can a man, who is not a woman, feel like they are a woman, without knowing what a woman feels like? The objective woman this is based upon, does not exist, because they certainly don't look like a woman, nor do they think like a woman, they just "think" they feel like they are a woman.
The woman they think they feel they are, is merely in their own imagination. They are as mistaken as the boy who wants to be batman or a pilot, or a cop, or whatever, just because......
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »

Don't judge me, I've done my homework. Part of my homework was reading Sophie Labelle comics. Here is a foretaste:

You have been warned:

http://assignedmale.tumblr.com/

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »

Don't judge me, I've done my homework. Part of my homework was reading Sophie Labelle comics. Here is a foretaste:

You have been warned:

http://assignedmale.tumblr.com/

I think it's time that someone told you that online comics isn't necessarily the best way to learn about a topic.