General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 2848 times

kurros

• 12846 Posts
Re: Nothing better describes this forum than ...
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 12:38:07 PM »
Jesus said to them, "Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God?
(Mar 12:24)

Sure, could be, but many atheists here used to be Christians or have otherwise put a lot of effort into trying to understand scripture. Not me, I have never been convinced enough to burn time on such a thing, but certainly others here have. So if they don't understand it correctly then I think some significant blame falls on God for creating a holy book that is difficult to understand.

You seem to have a lot of time to try to convince us otherwise. Why else be on a christian forum?

It's more of a philosophy forum, and I like philosophy. Particularly I like epistemology, and questions of God are a good testing ground for ideas about epistemology. I am rather confident that you are all wrong and there is no God, but it is by no means a trivial thing and it is not easy to justify, and I find this interesting.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:42:18 PM by kurros »

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 03:06:29 PM »
The Pulpit Commentary calls the Sadducees "rationalists and skeptics". It labels them neologians - likening them to modern, lower-case "c" christians, who want to take every supernatural event in scripture and reduce such things as the Virgin birth, the Flood, Adam and Eve, etc. to mere allegory.

The twofold error of both denying AND ignoring scripture does seem to play out quite a lot wherever there is bad theology and opposition to God.
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

Friendly Banjo Atheist

• 1843 Posts
  • You've only got one life. Play the banjo.
    • CelticGuitar.com
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »
What does it mean to "understand" scripture?

Also, are some controversial controversial assumptions (or just lazy dispositions) lurking beneath?
Friendly Banjo Atheist
(Steve Baughman)

You've only got one life.  Play the banjo.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 04:48:36 PM »
Wonder:

I see no good reason to agree with your opinion that it's a lame idea etc.  Do you have an argument or just insults? 

Language-Gamer

• 7818 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 06:12:40 PM »
Wonder:

I see no good reason to agree with your opinion that it's a lame idea etc.  Do you have an argument or just insults?

Don't worry man, at least you would be in the same boat as a great philosopher as Nagel, since all wonderer could offer against him were similar considerations. it's just standard rhetoric (need I cite a Ted talk to defend that point?).
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
What does it mean to "understand" scripture?

Good one Banjo!
Keep em coming. Luv yer work.
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

GRWelsh

• 4693 Posts
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »
... a place where theists and atheists alike can come together to politely discuss Christian apologetics, philosophy and WLC's works, but sadly has degenerated into the typical electronic waterfall of bickering and short, snarky comments.
The morning sun rose and burned off the ghosts; it seems they were nothing but shapes in the fog.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »
I agree, but you need the word 'could' before 'alike'. 

Also, I don't recall it ever being any different, so I'm not sure it's degenerated or has always been like this.

Additionally, who do we blame for such a state of affairs?  Who do you think has caused this?

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »
Additionally, who do we blame for such a state of affairs?  Who do you think has caused this?

Maybe those who are doing the bickering and posting short, snarky comments? Duh.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 11:04:20 AM »
Lol.

So that's the vast majority in here, then.  So ... It's either this, or have no forum at all, really.

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »
Lol.

So that's the vast majority in here, then.  So ... It's either this, or have no forum at all, really.

Joking aside. We could just stop bickering and posting snarky comments. At least we could try to only do it every ten posts or so.

Edit: There are actually quite a few posters here who manages without much snark. We could just try to be like them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:18:17 AM by Moot »

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »
Perhaps we need the applaud/smite system back to penalise short, snarky comments?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

AnimatedDirt

• 7821 Posts
  • Alwys a sinner, Alwys penitent, Alwys right w/ God
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
I tend to be snarky...I'm actively working on this.
People are amusing.

GRWelsh

• 4693 Posts
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 06:25:41 AM »

We're jointly responsible.  I'm guilty of it, too.  I don't think reinstating the applaud/smite system would make a difference, since none of us have a problem getting smitten for speaking our minds...  The only thing we can do is put forth an effort to make it better, by individually evaluating our own messages before posting them.
The morning sun rose and burned off the ghosts; it seems they were nothing but shapes in the fog.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 06:38:24 AM »
Seems to me the big problems are:

a) many posters here have danced with each other before.  Old wounds, old spites resurface.

b) most subjects have been done to death with no progress - people are not open minded, nor admit when they're wrong, nor are interested in having beating the same, old, dead horse.

c) the internet encourages snark and rudeness.  Most cannot resist, even if they sometimes veil it quite well.

No answer, imho.