General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 5328 times

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
Re: My Heart Breaks for Chicago
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2016, 05:48:42 AM »
And let's realize that sexual assault and street robbery are not confined to Muslims.

Let's not assume that Muslims have not provided any good in America.

Muslims were part of the US from its very beginnings. Among those who served under the command of chief of the continental army, General George Washington, in the war against British colonialism were Bampett Muhammad, who fought for the Virginia Line between the years 1775 and 1783, and Yusuf Ben Ali, who was a North African Arab.

The largely Muslim kingdom of Morocco, incidentally, was the first country to recognise the US. In 1786, the two countries signed a treaty of peace and friendship that is still in effect today, the longest unbroken treaty of its kind in US history.

The US wouldn’t look the way it does if it weren’t for a Muslim, Fazlur Rahman Khan. The Dhaka-born Bangladeshi-American was known as the “Einstein of structural engineering”. He pioneered a new structural system of frame tubes that revolutionised the building of skyscrapers. That system consisted of, as he once described it, “three, four, or possibly more frames, braced frames, or shear walls, joined at or near their edges to form a vertical tube-like structural system capable of resisting lateral forces in any direction by cantilevering from the foundation”. The result was a new generation of skyscrapers that reduced the amount of steel necessary in construction and changed the look of American cityscapes.
Of course it was all part of the 9/11 plot wasn't it. Except this Muslim engineer died in 1982.

Shahid Khan is the personification of the American dream. The Pakistan-born billionaire arrived in the US aged 16 on a one-way trip to the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. “Within 24 hours, I had already experienced the American dream,” Khan said, by which he meant he found a job for $1.20 an hour washing dishes — more than the vast majority of the people back in Pakistan earned at the time. He started a car-parts business after university. Now, the 65-year-old – best known in the UK for owning Fulham FC – is the head of the $4.9bn (in sales terms) auto-parts company Flex-N-Gate, the 360th richest person on the planet and three years ago Forbes magazine put him on its cover as the face of the American dream.
all from http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/08/donald-trump-famous-muslims-us-history

Muhammad Ali - sounds like a Muslim - surely not! And who's that sat next to the "greatest" - not Donald Trump - it can't be!

If a particular ethnic group is less likely to integrate
Don't Jews, for instance, emphasize their desire to maintain their identity in foreign lands.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:53:51 AM by lapwing »
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2016, 05:57:33 AM »
Breaking News! Rubio Supporters Use Force Against Peaceful Protesters!

I can't believe this.  See it here for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWxSgr3yYSY

This is Rubio's fault.  He created an environment for this sort of bad behavior by talking like a robot in the first place.  Rubio needs to take responsibility for this unruly behavior.

Do any of the Republican candidates have any serious policies? If so, what are they? - apart from idiotic meaningless sound bites about building walls and banning people.
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
  • all nations people of every language worshiped him
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2016, 06:13:25 AM »

This is Rubio's fault.  He created an environment for this sort of bad behavior by talking like a robot in the first place.  Rubio needs to take responsibility for this unruly behavior.

Do any of the Republican candidates have any serious policies? If so, what are they? - apart from idiotic meaningless sound bites about building walls and banning people.

Why aren't you condemning Rubio?  Clearly he created the environment for this kind of bad behavior.  For shame Rubio. . . for shame.    The bad behavior of these protesters are your fault rubio.  tisk tisk. Why don't you apologize for their poor behavior since it was your robotic words that created the "environment" for these protesters to behave in such a terrible way in the first place?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:16:08 AM by Steve B »

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2016, 06:25:39 AM »

Why aren't you condemning Rubio?  Clearly he created the environment for this kind of bad behavior.  For shame Rubio. . . for shame.    The bad behavior of these protesters are your fault rubio.  tisk tisk. Why don't you apologize for their poor behavior since it was your robotic words that created the "environment" for these protesters to behave in such a terrible way in the first place?

You just answered my question, Steve, They don't have any serious policies.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

GotTheGift

• 3690 Posts
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:09 AM »

They do, lapwing, but all serious discussions are being highjacked and avoided because of the circus DT has made out of the Republican Prez campaigns. It is a real shame.

Maybe once the race is down to just DT and Cruz we will have some quality policy discussions at the last debate(s)? Or DT will just drop out because he won't want to face Cruz, because he knows he will get destroyed in the debate on substance, and Cruz knows how to be an adult and not fall for DT's rhetoric and name calling. (If Rubio and Kasich stay in the race after today, the debate will be more of the same.)

I post on the fly, so excuse any typos or grammatical errors.

"If the mass was just a meal, then the crucifixion was just an execution." -Scott Hahn

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
  • all nations people of every language worshiped him
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2016, 08:44:13 AM »

They do, lapwing, but all serious discussions are being highjacked and avoided because of the circus DT has made out of the Republican Prez campaigns. It is a real shame.

Maybe once the race is down to just DT and Cruz we will have some quality policy discussions at the last debate(s)? Or DT will just drop out because he won't want to face Cruz, because he knows he will get destroyed in the debate on substance, and Cruz knows how to be an adult and not fall for DT's rhetoric and name calling. (If Rubio and Kasich stay in the race after today, the debate will be more of the same.)

I would echo Carson's caution. . . let's not become so divisive that we risk losing the Supreme Court.  Ok?  I will back any candidate so long as I am confident that they will appoint sound supreme court judges that put forth Constitutional ideas.  None of this "living, breathing document" nonsense.

We really need to see the big picture.  There is a lot more at stake here than just "hurray for my candidate."

My joke about "Marco Roboto" was only intended to demonstrate the broader point of the OP.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:46:59 AM by Steve B »

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2016, 09:59:16 AM »
They do, lapwing, but all serious discussions are being highjacked
I agree GtG - you've made my point better than I have. Candidate X blew his nose in public - scandal! The campaign seems to be dissolving into this kind of ridiculousness.
Hilary is right when she says the Democrat nomination campaign has more substance.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer