Re: Deductive Arguments And Multiplying Probabilities
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »
P1. If gratuitous evil exists, God does not exist
P2. gratuitous evil exists
C. Therefor, God does not exist

probability of P1 is 70%
probability of P2 is 70%

The probability of C is .7*.7 = 49%

Demonstrating that the high likelihood of gratuitous evil does not demonstrate the non-existence of God.

Would you agree with this moot?

Don't forget to factor in the consequences of the modal ontological argument.

why?
I'll believe you don't believe in objective moral values when you stop using terms like "right" and "wrong".

I'll believe you believe in determinism when you start saying things like "I'm so sorry you're determined to think that way"

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »
RichardChad:

I asked you to start a new thread if you want to discuss this. Please stop derailing.

How exactly is it derailing pointing out that multiplying probabilities only works for independent events, and that  using this "method" on any deductive argument I can achieve an improbable conclusion simply by adding premises,  on a thread titled "Deductive Arguments And Multiplying Probabilities"

I'm precisely addressing your OP!

Well because it doesn't represent the OP's argument properly. The probabilities he used do indeed multiply correctly, because he conditioned them correctly. To be specific, the joint probability of three events (or propositions), A,B,C, is

Pr(A & B & C) = Pr(A|B & C) * Pr(B | C) * Pr(C)

and the same for all permutations of A,B and C. The OP's premises were exactly of this correct form. Of course you cannot just multiply Pr(A) * Pr(B) * Pr(C) unless the events/propositions are independent (so that e.g. Pr(B|C) = Pr(B)), yes that is wrong, but that is not what he did.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:01:40 PM by kurros »

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »
Bump.

I'd like to hear from some theists. It seems that if my approach is right, that undermines a big chunk of WLC's case for God.

Something must be missing.

What part of Craig's case for God's existence is undermined by the fact that an argument's being "good" (in the way Craig defines it) does not guarantee the conclusion is more probable than its negation (which I take to be your point)?

If we take the KCA, I could grant that both premises are more likely true than not while still claiming that an eternal Universe is more likely than the Universe having a cause. Surely that undermines the KCA somewhat.

The same thing seems to be true for Craigs version of the MA and the FTA. It puts a heavier burden on Craig in that he needs to show that the premises are quite a lot more probable than not.

... if I'm right that is.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this objection might not apply to Craig's version of the MA. At least not identically.

Well, no. I don't think the mere possibility that one could find the two premises of the kalam more likely true than not and the conclusion more likely false than not undermines the effectiveness of the kalam (or any deductive argument, for that matter) at all. Craig spends an awful lot of time (in his debates and written work) arguing for the truth of the premises of his arguments for God's existence. So it doesn't seem like he's counting on people shrugging and assigning 51% to each of the premises.

That's fair, but I think a lot of people are under the impression that if the two premises are more likely true than not, it would be irrational not to accept the conclusion (unless counter arguments are given). Maybe that's not how Craig presents it, but I do think a lot of his followers interpret it that way.

But, suppose you are one of those people who find themselves in a situation where you think the premises are each more likely true than not, but find the conclusion more likely false than not. The argument is still not ineffective. Suppose, as Craig actually does, multiple arguments are presented for a particular conclusion. For example: A/B//G and C/D//G. And suppose you think the probability of each of the premises is 0.60 (and, following the rest of the thread for simplicity, assume these probabilities are independent). Taken individually, these two arguments only set the minimum probability of the conclusion, G, at 0.36. But, taken together, the minimum probability of the conclusion is 0.59: P((A and B) or (C and D)) = 0.59.

So even if something like your probabilistic scenario is the case with the kalam, it still can play a valuable role in a cumulative case for the conclusion. And that's generally how Craig uses it.

Ok. I don't understand the above. Could you try explaining it in a different way?

I agree that the Kalam could have some force even if we regarded the conclusion as more likely false than true, but I'm not sure how that's explained. I suppose you could say that a "starting point" would be applying  the principle of indifference to both premises which would give us a probability of .25 for the conclusion. If we grant a higher probability than that, I suppose that we could say that the argument still works in favor of the conclusion. Is that similar to what you have in mind?

I mentioned above the MA as an example of an argument where this approach works differently. In fact, it seems to me that if we come away with a .01 probability of the conclusion of the MA being true, that still supports the conclusion (although very mildly). Would you agree with that?

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
RichardChad:

I asked you to start a new thread if you want to discuss this. Please stop derailing.

How exactly is it derailing pointing out that multiplying probabilities only works for independent events, and that  using this "method" on any deductive argument I can achieve an improbable conclusion simply by adding premises,  on a thread titled "Deductive Arguments And Multiplying Probabilities"

Agree. I was actually going to post the same type of objection that you posted.

See Kurros response above.

I'm not saying that this a stupid question. The reason I'm being dismissive is that I've explained to Richard many times why this isn't a relevant objection but he keeps repeating it as if it's still unanswered.

No one is saying that multiplying probabilities works in every scenario. If you think about it for a second, you'll realize that the probability of the Universe having a cause is the probability of the two premises multiplied (given that an eternal Universe wouldn't have a cause). I don't this that can be disputed. What can be disputed (and is being disputed) is the idea that this undermines the KCA.

phidiasv

• 1019 Posts
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
Bump.

I'd like to hear from some theists. It seems that if my approach is right, that undermines a big chunk of WLC's case for God.

Something must be missing.

What part of Craig's case for God's existence is undermined by the fact that an argument's being "good" (in the way Craig defines it) does not guarantee the conclusion is more probable than its negation (which I take to be your point)?

If we take the KCA, I could grant that both premises are more likely true than not while still claiming that an eternal Universe is more likely than the Universe having a cause. Surely that undermines the KCA somewhat.

The same thing seems to be true for Craigs version of the MA and the FTA. It puts a heavier burden on Craig in that he needs to show that the premises are quite a lot more probable than not.

... if I'm right that is.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this objection might not apply to Craig's version of the MA. At least not identically.

Well, no. I don't think the mere possibility that one could find the two premises of the kalam more likely true than not and the conclusion more likely false than not undermines the effectiveness of the kalam (or any deductive argument, for that matter) at all. Craig spends an awful lot of time (in his debates and written work) arguing for the truth of the premises of his arguments for God's existence. So it doesn't seem like he's counting on people shrugging and assigning 51% to each of the premises.

That's fair, but I think a lot of people are under the impression that if the two premises are more likely true than not, it would be irrational not to accept the conclusion (unless counter arguments are given). Maybe that's not how Craig presents it, but I do think a lot of his followers interpret it that way.

But, suppose you are one of those people who find themselves in a situation where you think the premises are each more likely true than not, but find the conclusion more likely false than not. The argument is still not ineffective. Suppose, as Craig actually does, multiple arguments are presented for a particular conclusion. For example: A/B//G and C/D//G. And suppose you think the probability of each of the premises is 0.60 (and, following the rest of the thread for simplicity, assume these probabilities are independent). Taken individually, these two arguments only set the minimum probability of the conclusion, G, at 0.36. But, taken together, the minimum probability of the conclusion is 0.59: P((A and B) or (C and D)) = 0.59.

So even if something like your probabilistic scenario is the case with the kalam, it still can play a valuable role in a cumulative case for the conclusion. And that's generally how Craig uses it.

Ok. I don't understand the above. Could you try explaining it in a different way?

I agree that the Kalam could have some force even if we regarded the conclusion as more likely false than true, but I'm not sure how that's explained. I suppose you could say that a "starting point" would be applying  the principle of indifference to both premises which would give us a probability of .25 for the conclusion. If we grant a higher probability than that, I suppose that we could say that the argument still works in favor of the conclusion. Is that similar to what you have in mind?

I mentioned above the MA as an example of an argument where this approach works differently. In fact, it seems to me that if we come away with a .01 probability of the conclusion of the MA being true, that still supports the conclusion (although very mildly). Would you agree with that?

Sure, let me try to flesh out that a bit more. (I'm just going to assume the probability of all premises are independent.)

Suppose we have a valid argument:
1) A
2) B
3) Therefore, G

Suppose that we think P(A)=0.6 and P(B)=0.6. Then we can say that the rationally required lower bound of the probability of G is P(G)>=0.36. That is, it may be that the probability of G being true is higher than 0.36, but can be no lower without revising the probabilities we assign to A and B.

Suppose we have a second valid argument:
1) C
2) D
3) Therefore, G

As with the premises in our first argument, we think that P(C)=0.6 and P(D)=0.6. So, when considering this argument alone, the lower bound for the probability of G is 0.36.

Now that we have two independent arguments for the same conclusion, G, we might wonder how our having both of them changes the rationally required lower bound on the probability of G. So we might reason: If both A and B are true, then G must be true. And, if both C and D are true, then G must be true. So, G must be true if (A and B) is true, *or* (C and D) is true. Since we're multiplying probabilities, we know that P(A and B)=0.36 and P(C and D)=0.36.

So, to determine the lower bound for the probability of G, we need to determine the probability of "(A and B) or (C and D)". For any two propositions, X and Y, P(X or Y) = P(X) + P(Y) - P(X and Y).

Plugging our propositions into the formula:

P((A and B) or (C and D)) = P(A and B) + P(C and D) - P((A and B) and (C and D))
P((A and B) or (C and D)) = 0.36 + 0.36 - (0.36 * 0.36)
P((A and B) or (C and D)) = 0.5904

And that gives us, when considering these two arguments, a lower bound for the probability of G of 0.5904. That's how two different arguments can support one another, even though neither one alone is sufficient to guarantee the conclusion is more likely true than not.

Of course, when dealing with actual arguments, it's a lot more complicated. The probabilities associated with the premises will rarely be completely independent. And it may be the case (as with the moral argument, potentially) where the falsity of one of the premises is incompatible with the truth of the conclusion. But this is the gist of it, as I understand it.

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »
Sure, let me try to flesh out that a bit more. (I'm just going to assume the probability of all premises are independent.)

Suppose we have a valid argument:
1) A
2) B
3) Therefore, G

Suppose that we think P(A)=0.6 and P(B)=0.6. Then we can say that the rationally required lower bound of the probability of G is P(G)>=0.36. That is, it may be that the probability of G being true is higher than 0.36, but can be no lower without revising the probabilities we assign to A and B.

Ahh, actually yes that is quite true. I forgot about this.

To make it simpler:
1) A
2) Therefore B

then

P(B) = P(B|A)*P(A) + P(B|~A)*P(~A)
  >= P(B|A)*P(A)
  >= P(A)

(since P(B|A)=1 if the argument is deductively valid)

We do indeed have to account for the other ways that the conclusions might be true despite the premises being false.

--------------------------------

Edit: Although the OP scenario did account for this, kind of

1. If the Universe began to exist, it had a cause.  -- C|E, assigned p=0.6
  ( note --- the probability reading has to be "probability that the universe had a cause, given that it began to exist" )
2. The Universe began to exist. -- E, assigned p=0.6
C. Therefore, the Universe had a cause. -- C

1. The Universe began to exist and had a cause  -- E & C
2. The Universe began to exist without a cause  -- E & ~C
3. The Universe did not begin to exist -- ~E

1. P(E & C) = P(C|E)* P(E) = 0.6 * 0.6 = 0.36
2. P(E & ~C) = P(~C | E)*P(E) = 0.4 * 0.6 = 0.24
3. P(~E) = 0.4

and the OP didn't mention it but:

P(C) = P(C|E)*P(E) + P(C|~E)*P(~E)
 = P(C|E)*P(E) = 0.36
(I assume here that implicitly P(C|~E) was judged to be zero)

So actually all the cases were taken care of. Unless P(C|~E)=0 is not the case.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:32:24 PM by kurros »

RichardChad

• 2427 Posts
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
RichardChad:

Agree. I was actually going to post the same type of objection that you posted.

See Kurros response above.

I'm not saying that this a stupid question. The reason I'm being dismissive is that I've explained to Richard many times why this isn't a relevant objection but he keeps repeating it as if it's still unanswered.

No one is saying that multiplying probabilities works in every scenario. If you think about it for a second, you'll realize that the probability of the Universe having a cause is the probability of the two premises multiplied (given that an eternal Universe wouldn't have a cause). I don't this that can be disputed.

You can't multiply the probabilities unless they are independent events.

That is what can not be disputed.

I'll believe you don't believe in objective moral values when you stop using terms like "right" and "wrong".

I'll believe you believe in determinism when you start saying things like "I'm so sorry you're determined to think that way"

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
phidiasv, kurros:

Thanks. I'm still a bit confused though. phidiasv, you lost me here:

"Suppose we have a valid argument:
1) A
2) B
3) Therefore, G

Suppose that we think P(A)=0.6 and P(B)=0.6. Then we can say that the rationally required lower bound of the probability of G is P(G)>=0.36. That is, it may be that the probability of G being true is higher than 0.36, but can be no lower without revising the probabilities we assign to A and B."

The thing that makes the KCA more vulnerable to the multiplying probabilities thing is (as far as I understand it) that the falsity of one of the premises contradicts the conclusion. IOW, if either of the premises are false, the conclusion is false. This is not true of the more common version of the KCA (first premise: Everything that begins to exist...). I'm also assuming that a beginningless Universe doesn't have a cause. I'm sure one could argue that it could have a cause anyway, but let's grant it for the sake of argument. Given this, does the above still apply?

I agree that when we start adding arguments together, we can make a cumulative case, but this is where the math gets a bit over my head. Say that we have three arguments with two premises each and every premise has a .6 probability of being true, how probable is it then that one of the arguments have two true premises and how do we calculate it (maybe you explained this in your last post)?

Also, (maybe I'm totally off here) doesn't this mean that arguments where both premises are probably false lend some support to the cumulative case as well (unless the the falsity of one of the premises contradicts the conclusion)? If so, where should we draw the line and call an argument succesful? It seems arbitrary to do it where both premises are more probably true than not.

I absolutely agree that this is all theoretical and that in reality, the premises of the different arguments aren't all independent.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:42:14 PM by Moot »

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »
I agree that when we start adding arguments together, we can make a cumulative case, but this is where the math gets a bit over my head. Say that we have three arguments with two premises each and every premise has a .6 probability of being true, how probable is it then that one of the arguments have two true premises and how do we calculate it (maybe you explained this in your last post)?

I just started trying to write it down, but it gets pretty hectic if you don't assume the arguments are mutually exclusive, and of course you don't want to assume that. There are lots of permutations of the argument 1 premises being true and argument 2 premises being false etc. that need to be taken care of. Gets a bit out of control even with only 3 arguments. Maybe I'll try it another time when I have more time to spare. Get some structures like this:

P (A U B U C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A ∩ B) - P(A ∩ C) - P(B ∩ C) + P(A ∩ B ∩ C)

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »

I just started trying to write it down, but it gets pretty hectic if you don't assume the arguments are mutually exclusive, and of course you don't want to assume that. There are lots of permutations of the argument 1 premises being true and argument 2 premises being false etc. that need to be taken care of. Gets a bit out of control even with only 3 arguments. Maybe I'll try it another time when I have more time to spare. Get some structures like this:

P (A U B U C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A ∩ B) - P(A ∩ C) - P(B ∩ C) + P(A ∩ B ∩ C)

Thanks. Interesting stuff. I guess the conclusion we can draw is that it's not perfectly clear how deductive arguments supports a conclusion.

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »
So this is something that's been addressed quite a lot on this forum but I've never understood the objections to it. Long ago SolElQoy tried explaining this to me and others but I came away none the wiser. So here's another attempt at getting to the bottom of this.

The idea is that the probability of the premises become multiplied in a deductive argument. This means that if an argument has two premises that have a .6 probability of being true, the conclusion only has a .36 probability of being true.

Let's take the newer version of the KCA (forgive me if I'm not formulating it exactly right):

1. If the Universe began to exist, it had a cause.
2. The Universe began to exist.
C. Therefore, the Universe had a cause.

Now let's say that we give each premise a .6 confidence level. How likely is the conclusion to be true? It seems pretty obvious to me that the answer is .36. There are three possibilities and here's how I'd put the probabilities:

1. The Universe began to exist and had a cause = .36
2. The Universe began to exist without a cause = .24
3. The Universe did not begin to exist = .4

This seems right to me, but Dr. Craig (and others I'm sure) has a standard that says a good argument simply needs to have premises that are more plausible than their negation. But that seems to contradict the above.  Somethings gotta give! It's been suggested that the answer lies in the difference between probability and plausibility but I can't understand why that would be. Even if plausibility and probability are different things, I can't see why a plausibility estimate couldn't be roughly translated into a probability estimate. It seems that we do that all the time. Here's another example that has nothing to do with God:

1. If my neighbour's dog is in the park, it's wearing a dog-sweater.
2. My neighbour's dog is in the park.
C. Therefore, my neighbour's dog is wearing a dog-sweater.

Edit: My neighbours dog only wears a sweater if it's in the park (it's not really the same structure otherwise).

Let's say again that we give each premise a .6 confidence level. Is anyone claiming that conclusion is more likely than not in that scenario? If yes, why? Where did I go wrong? If no, does the same reasoning apply to the KCA or is there a relevant difference?

When I've brought this up in the past I've had some accusations of dishonesty and irrationality thrown at me so let me just make it very clear that my reasoning doesn't only apply to arguments for theism. I'm also certainly not claiming to be pwning Craig. I'm guessing there's a good reason for his standard, I'm just not sure what it is. Also, just to show that this isn't an objection the RF atheists have dreamed up, here's Christian philosopher/apologist Calum Miller on Craigs KCA. I get that Miller isn't regarded as an authority on this, but he seems well respected among theists:

"Again, for completeness, I should briefly detail one or two final concerns. These are to do with the framework of the argument as a whole. The first is that in general, I find many deductive arguments unsatisfactory. It is not always clear how the plausibility of the premises is supposed to relate to the plausibility of the conclusion. To secure a conclusion which, given our evidence, is more probable than not, the conjunction of the premises of a deductive argument must have a probability of greater than 0.5. But the fact that each premise is more likely than not, given our evidence, is certainly not sufficient to establish this.

This raises a further problem, something of a “dwindling probabilities” argument: we can only guarantee a probability of the conclusion insofar as the conjunction of the argument’s premises is probable. But if each premise is only somewhat more probable than not, the probability of the conclusion we can derive drops off pretty quickly. Suppose we think that P(P1) = P(P2|P1) = 0.7: then P(P1 & P2) = 0.49. Let P3 be the premise that if the universe has a cause, the cause of the universe is personal. Suppose P(P3|P1 & P2) = 0.7. Then P(P1 & P2 & P3) = 0.343.  Of course, some might question these probabilities: but it is clear that the more uncertain steps there are, the more the probability we can guarantee for the conclusion decreases. Since a lot of steps in the KCA are far from certain, and since some seem only slightly more probable than their negations, this presents a serious problem for the KCA."

Sorry for the long post. Looking forward to responses.

The problem is simple. You are doing multiplication when you should be doing addition.

Moot

• 4964 Posts
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
The problem is simple. You are doing multiplication when you should be doing addition.

Mmmm... so the conclusion is 120% true?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:24:57 AM by Moot »

Pragmatic

• 4006 Posts
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »
Lol. Sorry pat but that's just silly.
Religion was born when the first con man met the first fool.

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 12:11:55 PM »

Thanks. Interesting stuff. I guess the conclusion we can draw is that it's not perfectly clear how deductive arguments supports a conclusion.

Well only because it is complicated :p. It is just a tedious  mechanical task of doing the math, not a deep mystery.

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 14649 Posts
  • WCBP - http://tinyurl.com/agmwhpj
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »
Sorry to bring this backwards a little, but I have a question regarding an earlier part of the discussion.  When you had the premise:

1. If my neighbour's dog is in the park, it's wearing a dog-sweater.

And you said that 2/3 times when your neighbors dog is in the part it is wearing a sweater so the probability of the premise is .6, is that really good enough ?  Isn't it a defeater for the premise to point to a single time when the dog has been in the park without its sweater ?