RichardChad

• 2427 Posts
Re: World's top Go player loses second match of five against Google AI
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »
Kurros,

Please tell me what I'm getting wrong. Help me.
(And don't just say...oh you don't understand....read moar..it's really special...neural networks...fuzzy logic...algorithms...it's all in the jargon.)

To what extent does the program have the 'freedom' to make its own choice of moves entirely free of compulsion?

Basic program - IF this, then do THAT. IF this, then do THAT. IF this, then do THAT....etc.  etc. And do it as fast as the (man made) hardware allows.

The (human) programmer can theoretically write a program that includes every known combination and 'best moves' based on game outcome statistics from past games.

The programmer can also write into the game software a "coin toss" random decision function for situations Wher two competing "best moves" have an equiprobable chance of leading to a win.

So in what sense does the AI game program do something which is NOT expected?

There are no if statements in the model, and the programmer does not give it any information about the game. The program learns to play the same way humans do: simply by playing over and over and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Equivocation, there may be no "IF" statements (depending on the language used), but there are most certainly conditionals.

The program simply assembles more information upon which conditionals work. Perfectly determined, perfectly expected. You wont attempt to argue that point.

This is part of how humans learn, but it doesn't have the ability to freely choose that humans have.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:40:37 PM by RichardChad »
I'll believe you don't believe in objective moral values when you stop using terms like "right" and "wrong".

I'll believe you believe in determinism when you start saying things like "I'm so sorry you're determined to think that way"

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »
ADS meeting AlphaGo:

http://webcolleges.uva.nl/Mediasite/Play/d9d5c6e919034305ab8cad4e1d430a0f1d

I haven't watched the video myself, but I assume others here may be interested to see this college presentation.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

aleph naught

• 7392 Posts
  • For the glory of the Canadian empire.
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »
This is part of how humans learn, but it doesn't have the ability to freely choose that humans have.

No one ever said it did. We're talking about artificial intelligence, not free will.

RichardChad

• 2427 Posts
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2016, 06:49:17 PM »

No one ever said it did. We're talking about artificial intelligence, not free will.

I'm the one pointing out computers don't have LFW, you're the one responding to "To what extent does the program have the 'freedom' to make its own choice of moves entirely free of compulsion?"

always the trick with you eh? : - )
I'll believe you don't believe in objective moral values when you stop using terms like "right" and "wrong".

I'll believe you believe in determinism when you start saying things like "I'm so sorry you're determined to think that way"

TheBigOhMan

• 8699 Posts
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »

Ive always suspected that the reason why no machine will ever have free will is because free will itself is impossible.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2016, 09:27:01 PM »
Ive always suspected that the reason why no machine will ever have free will is because free will itself is impossible.

That doesn't necessarily follow though.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2016, 01:50:54 AM »
...There are no if statements in the model, and the programmer does not give it any information about the game. The program learns to play the same way humans do: simply by playing over and over and seeing what works and what doesn't.

All I'm seeing is a program which stores game statistics and plays the odds based on those stats.
It doesn't 'teach itself' to play.

It records past game data in its memory and - surprise, surprise - the more games it plays, the more statistical data it accumulates therefore increasing the odds of a win.

It's a brute force winning machine.

The program played 'itself' and other game software programs over and over and over (at high speed) accumulating statistical correlations between moves and the statistical probability of a win/loss. That's thousands of games!

OF COURSE it's going to beat a single human who can never memorise all those game statistics.
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

igr

• 1055 Posts
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2016, 02:09:02 AM »
Even though this is about free will, what does that really mean in practise?  Maybe it is about what we take into account when making a decision, and how much weight to give to each thing we take into account.  AI could do this part, with a bit of random chucked in.  Maybe that would be indistinguishable from an actual human in making a decision.

TheBigOhMan

• 8699 Posts
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2016, 02:57:32 AM »

That doesn't necessarily follow though.

It was just a suggestion.

Rostos

• 10433 Posts
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2016, 03:17:37 AM »

Were you free to come to that conclusion?
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

TheBigOhMan

• 8699 Posts
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2016, 03:46:00 AM »

Probably not,

Rostos

• 10433 Posts
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2016, 04:02:40 AM »

Probably not,

Therefore you cannot rationally affirm it
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

wonderer

• 17303 Posts
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2016, 07:13:50 AM »

Probably not,

Therefore you cannot rationally affirm it

I'd suggest TBOM can rationally affirm it based on the frequency with which the deterministic system between TBOM ears comes to correct conclusions, as compared to the deterministic systems between the ears of others/most people.

On the other hand, some people have long histories of demonstrating that they are not free to come to a correct conclusion. (At least in some regards.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:38:15 AM by wonderer »
“I knew the people who worked for me forumed with me. When you know people, you have to behave towards them like human beings.”  -Oskar Schindler. [Plagiarized]

OrdinaryClay

• 4799 Posts
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2016, 07:20:01 AM »
Games are won by massive search trees. Computers will always be able to do this better. No news. No surprise.
"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.(Luk 13:24)
So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?(Gal 4:16)

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2016, 07:32:51 AM »
...There are no if statements in the model, and the programmer does not give it any information about the game. The program learns to play the same way humans do: simply by playing over and over and seeing what works and what doesn't.

All I'm seeing is a program which stores game statistics and plays the odds based on those stats.
It doesn't 'teach itself' to play.

It records past game data in its memory and - surprise, surprise - the more games it plays, the more statistical data it accumulates therefore increasing the odds of a win.

It's a brute force winning machine.

The program played 'itself' and other game software programs over and over and over (at high speed) accumulating statistical correlations between moves and the statistical probability of a win/loss. That's thousands of games!

OF COURSE it's going to beat a single human who can never memorise all those game statistics.

It doesn't memorise all those game statistics. As we keep saying, what you are describing is simply not how AlphaGo works. Learning algorithms do not work by just storing all the past game data. Same as the Google image search AI does not store all the pictures of cats it looks at. It uses those pictures to update neural network connections and weights, so that the network becomes better and better at recognising cats. It is really much more like what the human brain does than you seem to realise.