General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 3975 times

bskeptic

• 8783 Posts
Re: Illusion of free will
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 04:25:39 AM »

It says plenty about such things. There are lots of simulations of the dynamics of populations with different numbers of "rule obeyers" and "cheaters". They tend to show that populations drift towards a state where most individuals obey the rules (and work to enforce them), but a small number of people are "cheaters". This is because in a population with no cheaters there are lots of advantages to be gained by cheating, so cheaters will inevitably appear, but the more cheaters there are then the more measures are taken by the "rule obeyers" against them, reducing the benefit of being a cheater, so fewer choose that strategy. So an equilibrium is eventually reached.

It may say such things, but it doesn't say that anyone is "wrong" or "responsible". If that's your theory, then rape and kill away if you can get away with it, and if your conscience doesn't trouble you too much.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 04:44:16 AM »
Fits in nicely with what I said on another thread was the most reasonable way to live if atheism-materialism, and therefore moral nihilism, was true: a selfish, but not psychopathic, hedonist who hypocritically encouraged others to live a moral life.  I called him MrHorrid.  If I deconverted it is who I would likely become, or at least try to become so I could live most profitably and reasonably.

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 05:57:46 AM »

It says plenty about such things. There are lots of simulations of the dynamics of populations with different numbers of "rule obeyers" and "cheaters". They tend to show that populations drift towards a state where most individuals obey the rules (and work to enforce them), but a small number of people are "cheaters". This is because in a population with no cheaters there are lots of advantages to be gained by cheating, so cheaters will inevitably appear, but the more cheaters there are then the more measures are taken by the "rule obeyers" against them, reducing the benefit of being a cheater, so fewer choose that strategy. So an equilibrium is eventually reached.

It may say such things, but it doesn't say that anyone is "wrong" or "responsible". If that's your theory, then rape and kill away if you can get away with it, and if your conscience doesn't trouble you too much.

I find the idea that things must be "really" wrong or people are "really" responsible pretty meaningless. Those of us who are rule-obeyers treat it as wrong, and will hold you responsible if you are caught doing it, and this is necessary to maintain the social order. That is far more concrete and meaningful than whatever you are talking about, imo.

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »
Fits in nicely with what I said on another thread was the most reasonable way to live if atheism-materialism, and therefore moral nihilism, was true: a selfish, but not psychopathic, hedonist who hypocritically encouraged others to live a moral life.  I called him MrHorrid.  If I deconverted it is who I would likely become, or at least try to become so I could live most profitably and reasonably.

Oh, you mean Donald Trump?  But I thought you liked him for president, no?

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 09:44:39 AM »
I find the idea that things must be "really" wrong or people are "really" responsible pretty meaningless. Those of us who are rule-obeyers treat it as wrong, and will hold you responsible if you are caught doing it, and this is necessary to maintain the social order. That is far more concrete and meaningful than whatever you are talking about, imo.

Do you think that some cultural values are better than others?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »

Do you think that some cultural values are better than others?

I think some produce more desirable societies than others, yes.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »

Different people desire different things. Are some desires better than others?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Identity Crisis

• 358 Posts
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
So, hang on, you are telling us to watch the clip so we can look at the arguments and accept those arguments?

But if we dont have free will, then how can i or anyone rationally affirm the evidence and choose to believe that free will is an illusion? Werent some of us determined to believe in free will all the way back from the big bang.

You dont realise how self defeating your argument is.

I wanted to warn folks on the length. The premise of the argument is that modern evolutionary science is true. If one doesn't accept that premise it will be boring.

You still dont understand.

If free will doesnt exist, then when one looks at the evidences for anything, they cannot rationally affirm the evidence because they were determined to accept a view regardless of the evidence...

You are essentially defeating your own argument.

When you freely choose whether some proposition is true or false, how do you decide?

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »

Different people desire different things. Are some desires better than others?

Only subjectively.

Hawke123

• 2415 Posts
  • So much to learn so little time
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »

Oh, you mean Donald Trump?  But I thought you liked him for president, no?
Uh, Q11 lives in the UK.  And I don't recall him expressing any opinions on Trump (though I may have missed the posts where he did so).
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister

“It is always so much easier to attack someone else's position than to create and defend your own.” – Glenn Miller

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 10:37:20 AM »
Yeah, unlike we yanks, I find our friends across the pond are far more savvy regarding the politics of other nations.  Same goes for Australians I've met online.  I'm scarcely political at all.  As with economics, it bores me.  But when you live in a country with the clout ours has it would be irresponsible not to keep the beast leashed.

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »
Fits in nicely with what I said on another thread was the most reasonable way to live if atheism-materialism, and therefore moral nihilism, was true: a selfish, but not psychopathic, hedonist who hypocritically encouraged others to live a moral life.  I called him MrHorrid.  If I deconverted it is who I would likely become, or at least try to become so I could live most profitably and reasonablyo.

Sounds like Trump. Seriously, there are crypto-atheists like that. Ayn Rand is an example of an open atheist like that. But linking such behavior to secular humanists is hard to prove.
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
searcherman,
re:  "...thank goodness we don't have free will."

How do you define free will as you're using it in this topic?

I'm getting my head around the free will aspect of the speaker's thesis. I am more persuaded by how we seem to have a basis for amorality and empathy, good without God as some say.
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »
This is long, detailed and the guy isn't the most sparkling speaker, but he makes good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUBgBeNLk-w

Gawd help us.  Six minutes in and I can't stay awake .. I lack the will.  Does it get better?

Isn't this guy guilty of scientism?  So much emphasis on macro physics vs micro physics when it is internal states of consciousness which should surely be the center of focus for any discussion of will - free or otherwise.

That's a good point. Scientism may be the Achilles Heel of his overall position. I think a lot of what he says regarding humans, and the drive to do good based on evolution, has some validity.

Language-Gamer

• 7818 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »
Is this guy like an evolutionary psychologist or philosopher or what?
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans