General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 3974 times

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
Illusion of free will
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
This is long, detailed and the guy isn't the most sparkling speaker, but he makes good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUBgBeNLk-w
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

AnimatedDirt

• 7821 Posts
  • Alwys a sinner, Alwys penitent, Alwys right w/ God
Re: Illusion of free will
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
This is long, detailed and the guy isn't the most sparkling speaker, but he makes good points.

Well...I'm not going to listen/watch.

List the "good" points.

People are amusing.

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »

List the "good" points.

Yeah I don't blame you. Also you may be shocked to learn that atheists can be boring.  :o

In a nutshell he says human nature over time leads to a more humane and cooperative society. While we may have empathy, we don't have altruism. The truly selfish thing to do is cooperate. A team of rule followers will beat a team of cheaters in the long run. This is our evolutionary path, and thank goodness we don't have free will.

Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

Rostos

• 10433 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
So, hang on, you are telling us to watch the clip so we can look at the arguments and accept those arguments?

But if we dont have free will, then how can i or anyone rationally affirm the evidence and choose to believe that free will is an illusion? Werent some of us determined to believe in free will all the way back from the big bang.

You dont realise how self defeating your argument is.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »
So, hang on, you are telling us to watch the clip so we can look at the arguments and accept those arguments?

But if we dont have free will, then how can i or anyone rationally affirm the evidence and choose to believe that free will is an illusion? Werent some of us determined to believe in free will all the way back from the big bang.

I wanted to warn folks on the length. The premise of the argument is that modern evolutionary science is true. If one doesn't accept that premise it will be boring.

Rostos

• 10433 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »

I wanted to warn folks on the length. The premise of the argument is that modern evolutionary science is true. If one doesn't accept that premise it will be boring.

You still dont understand.

If free will doesnt exist, then when one looks at the evidences for anything, they cannot rationally affirm the evidence because they were determined to accept a view regardless of the evidence...

You are essentially defeating your own argument.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

Hawke123

• 2415 Posts
  • So much to learn so little time
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »

List the "good" points.

Yeah I don't blame you. Also you may be shocked to learn that atheists can be boring.  :o

In a nutshell he says human nature over time leads to a more humane and cooperative society. While we may have empathy, we don't have altruism. The truly selfish thing to do is cooperate. A team of rule followers will beat a team of cheaters in the long run. This is our evolutionary path, and thank goodness we don't have free will.
And yet, many people behave in exactly the opposite way such a narrative predicts.
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister

“It is always so much easier to attack someone else's position than to create and defend your own.” – Glenn Miller

rstrats

• 232 Posts
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
searcherman,
re:  "...thank goodness we don't have free will."

How do you define free will as you're using it in this topic?
The City of Happiness is in the State of Mind.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:55 PM »
My lack of free will prevented me from watching the video.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »

You still dont understand.

If free will doesnt exist, then when one looks at the evidences for anything, they cannot rationally affirm the evidence because they were determined to accept a view regardless of the evidence...

You are essentially defeating your own argument.

I guess HE was making a macro argument, based on Darwinian science.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:05:05 AM by searcherman »

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 11:04:52 PM »

Gawd help us.  Six minutes in and I can't stay awake .. I lack the will.  Does it get better?

Isn't this guy guilty of scientism?  So much emphasis on macro physics vs micro physics when it is internal states of consciousness which should surely be the center of focus for any discussion of will - free or otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:06:34 PM by whateverist »

bskeptic

• 8783 Posts
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 04:09:37 AM »
A team of rule followers will beat a team of cheaters in the long run. This is our evolutionary path, and thank goodness we don't have free will.

That may well be so. But that does nothing to stop an individual from carrying out some terrible crime if there is an advantage to it, and they know they may well get away with it. I guess our "evolutionary path" would have little to say about such things. And in fact, it presumably includes many such cases of evil.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 04:20:11 AM »
A team of rule followers will beat a team of cheaters in the long run. This is our evolutionary path, and thank goodness we don't have free will.

That may well be so. But that does nothing to stop an individual from carrying out some terrible crime if there is an advantage to it, and they know they may well get away with it. I guess our "evolutionary path" would have little to say about such things. And in fact, it presumably includes many such cases of evil.

Also, the assumption seems to be that cheaters don't follow rules, but that is not necessarily true. Many cheaters, either groups or individuals, have a ''code of honour'' to live by. See for instance the mafia.

As the saying goes, there is a method behind the madness.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:49 AM »

It says plenty about such things. There are lots of simulations of the dynamics of populations with different numbers of "rule obeyers" and "cheaters". They tend to show that populations drift towards a state where most individuals obey the rules (and work to enforce them), but a small number of people are "cheaters". This is because in a population with no cheaters there are lots of advantages to be gained by cheating, so cheaters will inevitably appear, but the more cheaters there are then the more measures are taken by the "rule obeyers" against them, reducing the benefit of being a cheater, so fewer choose that strategy. And if everyone is just a cheater out for themselves, then if a group of individuals bands together under a set of rules then they will outcompete the cheaters, and their group will grow. So an equilibrium is eventually reached.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:23:58 AM by kurros »

bskeptic

• 8783 Posts
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 04:22:30 AM »

Isn't this guy guilty of scientism?

I didn't watch all of it, but it did seem to assume materialism as far as I could tell.