General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 3973 times

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
Re: Illusion of free will
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »
Really illuminating to see the mass abandonment of physicalism/determinism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQa_9pkgbg (the first 30 minutes, after that he drifts off into embracing concepts that only make sense on LFW)

If you as an atheist don't buy into unarguably the core of your belief system as it relates to our reality, why do you hold to atheism?

I'll have to know more about the details about pbysicalism and its relation to determnism to reevaluate my notion of naturalism and atheistic agnosticism. I tried to see if there was a primer on basic philosophy at Khan Academy a couple years ago, so I could keep up on the technical debates here. There was nothing so I will have to check the local colleges for a class to audit.
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

RichardChad

• 2427 Posts
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
I'm sure you could get through this in a couple hours: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/physicalism/
I'll believe you don't believe in objective moral values when you stop using terms like "right" and "wrong".

I'll believe you believe in determinism when you start saying things like "I'm so sorry you're determined to think that way"

Keith_

• 4670 Posts
  • Be neither credulous nor skeptical. Be objective.
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:39 PM »

I started listening, but I quit reading when the speaker said "Indeterminism doesn't allow for free will because by definition we can't control it". While I'm not a philosopher,I object to this definition because a practical definition of indeterministic doesn't have to include a complete loss of control.

I agree with your point, but he may have been talking about materialist style indeterminism? And so in that context he may be correct.
I have heard materialists argue against determinism, but on the surface I don't see how that could leave room for free will - which I just realized is exactly what you just said.

-K
Eccl.1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.