Emuse

• 13574 Posts
Re: Shark on Shark Rape. How Can We Stand By and Let This Happen?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 03:58:37 AM »
I find it a sad fact of nature that evolution leads to and involves suffering.  I don't think God is to blame for this state of affairs and I hope one day it will end.  I see no practical way of interfering with shark mating habits in a way that benefits the shark.  But I look forward to an eternal order without a red-toothed mother nature.

How can a being who creates everything that is not himself not also be responsible for what his creation does?  He ultimately sets up what his creation can and cannot do.  An omnimax being is omniresponsible.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:01:05 AM by Emuse »

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
  • all nations people of every language worshiped him
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 03:59:20 AM »

Are you saying that not imprisoning someone who accidentally steps on an ant for manslaughter is a double standard?

Doesn't the ant have as much a right to life as the human?

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 04:02:49 AM »

How can a being who creates everything that is not himself not also be responsible for what his creation does?  He ultimately sets up what his creation can and cannot do.

Gosh darn it Emuse. 

There you go jumping ahead on me.  I was trying to play the devils advocate in reasoning toward the main idea that God gives humans a choice that animals never have: a choice to have knowledge of good and evil.

As a result, we humans sometimes project our knowledge of good and evil onto animals. . . who have no such knowledge, nor are they ever given any choice to have such knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:04:31 AM by Steve B »

Emuse

• 13574 Posts
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 04:02:59 AM »

Are you saying that not imprisoning someone who accidentally steps on an ant for manslaughter is a double standard?

In short, living organisms are biased toward their own kind.  What do you think this bias proves?

Emuse

• 13574 Posts
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 04:27:53 AM »

How can a being who creates everything that is not himself not also be responsible for what his creation does?  He ultimately sets up what his creation can and cannot do.

Gosh darn it Emuse. 

There you go jumping ahead on me.  I was trying to play the devils advocate in reasoning toward the main idea that God gives humans a choice that animals never have: a choice to have knowledge of good and evil.

As a result, we humans sometimes project our knowledge of good and evil onto animals. . . who have no such knowledge, nor are they ever given any choice to have such knowledge.

But your question in the OP can be viewed as aking, "Why have humans done no evil if they fail to stop the members of a non human species raping each other and in instances where they could?" I think that is how Q11 understood it too.

Your argument above doesn't answer that question even if it goes through.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 04:31:37 AM »
emuse:

God is not omniresponsible if the only morally good way of creating a universe was to include beings with consequential LFW within it.  I am not responsible for all the actions of my child, God is not responsible every time you sin.  You are.  I suggest finding a better line for judgement day, I don't think trying to blame God will go well for you.

Steve:

I don't believe so, no.  I'm a spieciest.  Also, the issue doesn't just revolve around RTL, it also revolves around suffering (and possibly other things too).

bskeptic

• 8783 Posts
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 04:56:18 AM »
Yes nature is violent. But the thing is, is that we find it beautiful to watch, and even some of the violence is beautiful to watch and we put it on TV without worrying much that kids may see it or anything like that. It's quite different to watching human acts of violence, because (in part I imagine) there is no moral evil to it.

While the cruelty and violence of nature doesn't fit so well with theism, the fascination and beauty of nature does imo fit perfectly with theism.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:57:51 AM by bskeptic »

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 04:57:54 AM »
While the cruelty and violence of nature doesn't fit so well with theism; the fascination and beauty of nature does imo fit perfectly with theism.

Totally agreed.  Which is why I'm a cosmic warfare limited dualist theist.

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 04:59:30 AM »
I'm a spieciest. 

I'm a speciest also.  But why are you a speciest?

I, myself, am a speciest for the reasons I explained to Emuse in the previous post-- mankind was given a choice to have the knowledge of good and evil.  And that is what makes us special.  It's also why we sometimes project our knowledge of good and evil onto animals who have no such knowledge, and no such choice, to even have such knowledge

So I've given my reason for being a speciest.  Out of curiosity my friend, what's yours?

Also.  I think BSkeptic is onto something here.  But I think the key is to realize that animals have no choice to have any knowledge of good and evil.  It is the possibility of this choice that actually separates man from animal.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:04:43 AM by Steve B »

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 05:06:08 AM »
But why are you a speciest?

Because I'm a xtian, mostly.  The bible grants humans a special status imago Dei.

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 05:37:51 AM »
But why are you a speciest?

Because I'm a xtian, mostly.  The bible grants humans a special status imago Dei.

Right.  Humans have the imageness of God in them.  Is it right for us to project that idea onto animals?

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 05:38:50 AM »
No.  But I'm not doing that.

Rostos

• 10433 Posts
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 06:06:26 AM »
Did the shark after it raped the female shark think what he did was wrong? Did other sharks that saw this think that what was happening was wrong?

Of course not...

So the $100 billion question is, why is it wrong for humans to rape and not sharks?

It keeps on getting drilled into me that i am nothing but an animal...just like the shark....just a bag of chemicals ,a different arrangement of chemicals but still just a bag of chemicals...

So why is it wrong for us humans to rape, but not wrong for the shark?

I keep getting told that we evolved...ok, cool....why is it ok for animals to rape, torture and murder each other, yet somehow, it is wrong for humans to do this?

Who imposed this right? Who are these people? How are they any more right than anyone else?

"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »
I agree that a purely atheistic-materialist paradigm has to result in moral nihilism. 

Aaron Massey

• 5542 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 06:17:34 AM »
Maybe it is Good rape.     Maybe the female sharks are extremely impossible to breed with. 

And the Male sharks have to rape them, it is impossible not to for the sake of there own species.

And in the sharks moral Code,(we dont know it because we dont speak shark) it is permissable for this rape, because it is for the greater good.

I think another factor to consider is if the female shark loves there baby shark from the Rape.
Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."