Steve B

• 9591 Posts
  • all nations people of every language worshiped him
I think it is horrible that we know that sharks are raping each other. . . but we don't do anything about it.  How can we, as decent human beings, stand by and let sharks keep raping each other?

Warning!  Shark Rape is Graphic!

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/videos/shark-mating/

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
Re: Shark on Shark Rape. How Can We Stand By and Let This Happen?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:00:21 AM »
I find it a sad fact of nature that evolution leads to and involves suffering.  I don't think God is to blame for this state of affairs and I hope one day it will end.  I see no practical way of interfering with shark mating habits in a way that benefits the shark.  But I look forward to an eternal order without a red-toothed mother nature.

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:04:57 AM »
I think we are horrible human beings for not stepping in and stopping this shark rape.  We could easily extract the seaman from the male shark and transfer it to the female shark, and thus stop the shark rape once and for all.  But we don't.

What have we become?

kurros

• 12846 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:09:52 AM »
I think we are horrible human beings for not stepping in and stopping this shark rape.  We could easily extract the seaman from the male shark and transfer it to the female shark, and thus stop the shark rape once and for all.  But we don't.

What have we become?

"Easily"? Nonsense. It would be extremely difficult, especially on a global scale. Your funding application for this project will definitely be rejected.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:13:09 AM »
Yeah, 'easily' is ridiculous.  I think it right to be appalled at many things in nature yet recognise our realistic inability to make some things better.

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:13:33 AM »

What have we become?

"Easily"? Nonsense. It would be extremely difficult, especially on a global scale. Your funding application for this project will definitely be rejected.

We don't even try to stop the shark raping.  We don't even lift a finger.  We should be ashamed.  How can we possibly rationalize our indifference to shark rape?  It's just not justifiable.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:18:06 AM by Steve B »

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:18:38 AM »
Would interfering in a particular instance of shark rape result in greater good for both sharks and the world as a whole?

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:20:17 AM »
Would interfering in a particular instance of shark rape result in greater good for both sharks and the world as a whole?

If you were the shark getting raped, would you ask that question?  No. . . you would just hope that the humans cared enough to try and stop just ONE shark getting raped.

I'm appalled that the camera man didn't try to save the female shark. . . instead he just stood by and watched and filmed the female shark getting raped.  It's horrible.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:23:55 AM by Steve B »

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 03:22:59 AM »
Would they though?  I mean, I don't really know how sharks think about having children etc.  Do you?  Maybe they prefer this to not having babies.  I have no idea.  But again, I dislike it, but can't see how to change it.  If I could wave a wand and change it, I would.

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:46 AM »
Would they though?  I mean, I don't really know how sharks think about having children etc.  Do you?  Maybe they prefer this to not having babies.  I have no idea.  But again, I dislike it, but can't see how to change it.  If I could wave a wand and change it, I would.

Aren't you appalled that the camera man just stood by and FILMED the female shark getting raped?  Rather than try to stop it?  I know I am. . . that camera man should be ashamed of himself.  He should be put in prison for filming a shark getting raped as if he didn't even care.

It's an unfair double standard.  If he had been filming a human getting raped. . . it would be the pillory for him.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:28:06 AM by Steve B »

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:27:56 AM »
Are you serious?

I think it a difficult issue.  sometimes I do interfere with the 'natural order' to prevent an animal suffering, but its difficult to know the knock-on effects are for the best.  Do you never interfere to prevent animal suffering and death?

I see no double standard in my POV at all.

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:42 AM »
Are you serious?

I think it a difficult issue.  sometimes I do interfere with the 'natural order' to prevent an animal suffering, but its difficult to know the knock-on effects are for the best.  Do you never interfere to prevent animal suffering and death?

Of course I'm totally serious.   It's an unfair double standard.  If he had been filming a human getting raped. . . it would be prison time.  These double standards toward animals simply aren't fair.  How do we justify them?

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 03:33:32 AM »
Because humans and animals are very different.  Again, I see myself holding no double standard here.

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 03:38:59 AM »
Because humans and animals are very different.  Again, I see myself holding no double standard here.

Isn't sending someone to prison for filming human on human rape, vs. shark on shark rape, not a double standard?

How come the man filming the shark on shark rape gets a pass but the man who films human on human rape goes to prison?

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 03:40:51 AM »
I've already said.  Humans and animals are very different in many ways.  The impact is different, the experience is different, the degree of suffering is different, the psychology is different etc etc.

Are you saying that not imprisoning someone who accidentally steps on an ant for manslaughter is a double standard?