General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 5294 times

Poll

Where do you fit in?

I am a Christian and believe in Evolution and science.
21 (48.8%)
I am an Atheist and believe in Evolution and science.
10 (23.3%)
I am a Christian and do not believe in Evolution or science.
1 (2.3%)
I am a Atheist and do not believe in Evolution but believe in science.
0 (0%)
I am a Christian and believe in science but not Evolution.
4 (9.3%)
I am an Atheist and do not believe in Evolution or science.
0 (0%)
I am an Atheist and believe in science but not Evolution.
0 (0%)
Other. Explain...
5 (11.6%)
I believe in the flying spaghetti monster and the teapot around Mars.
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
Re: Poll: Science and Religion. Where do you stand?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 11:31:19 PM »
I'm new and don't have the ability to vote yet, but I'd vote for the first option.

Welcome Catholic_Lady :)

I think the general moderation rule - a probationary rule - is that once you've made your first five posts, (which initially require Mod approval,) then you're part of the flock.

Lodge a vote after that maybe?

...I'm Christian but have no problem accepting evolution and science.

:thumbsup:
Likewise theres plenty of scientists who have no problem accepting Christianty.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:32:59 PM by Lion IRC »
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 07:07:25 AM »
I'm new and don't have the ability to vote yet, but I'd vote for the first option.

:thumbsup:
Likewise theres plenty of scientists who have no problem accepting Christianty.

Well put.

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 08:15:10 AM »
I'm new and don't have the ability to vote yet, but I'd vote for the first option. I'm Christian but have no problem accepting evolution and science.

Welcome Catholic Lady. Us atheists and humanists love discussing the the Pope, look forward to trading ideas with you!
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »
I'm new and don't have the ability to vote yet, but I'd vote for the first option. I'm Christian but have no problem accepting evolution and science.

Welcome Catholic Lady. Us atheists and humanists love discussing the the Pope, look forward to trading ideas with you!

But notice, Cath-y, that was pope they want to discuss with you - not poop.  (Don't get your hopes up on discussing your favorite topic here.)

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
Weird.

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
I will just leave this here. Not safe for work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOeQnWxnHls&list=RDQOeQnWxnHls#t=51

The language in that clip is disgusting....not safe for Christians. 

You were warned. If it's not safe for work, it's not likely safe for the easily offended.

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »
@Jem
What you say about medicine is not just demonstrably false but quackery if practiced by a doctor.

It's a strange thing about what is regarded as "quackery" these days. People are going to alternative health practitioners for one very good reason. The medical profession have sold out to 'big pharma', which puts profits before health. Don't you ever wonder why there are no "cures" for our ailments despite all the advances in medicine we keep hearing about?....there are only treatments of the symptoms....expensive ones. This is where science has taken us.

People are dropping like flies from completely preventable diseases like cancer and heart disease. The food industry is likewise complicit. Food is mass produced in mineral deficient soil, with artificial fertilizers and poisonous pesticides. Again money is put before health. Shelf life is their major concern so they virtually have to sell you dead food that cannot spoil because there is not a living organism left alive in it.

We are designed to eat living food with good gut flora and enzymes to aid digestion. Unless we grow our own organic produce, or can source it from organic growers, we are doomed to the ill health you see today.

Meat production is a travesty. Many of the animals we consume have never seen or eaten grass, but are fed an artificial diet designed to fatten up the animals which are injected with all sorts of chemicals, but not fed its natural food.

If you have ever seen what they do to chickens, you would never eat one again.

The fast food industry is the major contributor for obesity which is the number one killer because empty calories satisfy the taste buds but are starving the body of nutrients needed for even a measure of health. In essence, man's lifestyle is happily killing him. He is committing slow, delicious, suicide.

Ignorance is at the bottom of it and the system that produces our food and treats our resulting ill health is geared to make a lot of people rich because of that ignorance.

Have you never even investigated these things for yourself? Who rules the world after all? (1 John 5:19)

Modern food production is environmentally destructive. But modern medicine and vaccines have been revolutionary in saving lives and only quacks outside of science say differently.

So you grow your own food? Lest ye be a hypocrite.

searcherman

• 3112 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 01:37:36 PM »

I limit animal protein in my family to that which is less reliant on corn and soybean feed. Very little beef is the key. Canned Alaskan wild salmon is the best way. Milk and eggs converts feed better than beef.
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

Jem

• 4509 Posts
  • Avid JW Bible Student
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »
Quote from: Jem
The fast food industry is the major contributor for obesity which is the number one killer because empty calories satisfy the taste buds but are starving the body of nutrients needed for even a measure of health. In essence, man's lifestyle is happily killing him. He is committing slow, delicious, suicide.

Ignorance is at the bottom of it and the system that produces our food and treats our resulting ill health is geared to make a lot of people rich because of that ignorance.

Have you never even investigated these things for yourself? Who rules the world after all? (1 John 5:19)

Yes, I have a vege garden that takes up half of my back yard which is fertilized by chicken and cow manure. No pesticides. For other things I try to source organically grown local produce and grass fed beef and lamb and free range chicken with no hormones. I keep chickens and ducks for their eggs....I couldn't kill one.

Fast food for me is scrambled egg or freshly baked banana muffins. 

It is not possible to avoid all contaminated food or those devoid of nutritional value, but you can do your best to be careful. I take supplements too. I am not a fanatic, but I enjoy gardening and just try to be as healthy as possible.
"the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace" Psalm 37:11

Unless otherwise stated, all quoted material taken from WTBTS sources. jw.org

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »
Quote from: Jem

Yes, I have a vege garden that takes up half of my back yard which is fertilized by chicken and cow manure. No pesticides. For other things I try to source organically grown local produce and grass fed beef and lamb and free range chicken with no hormones. I keep chickens and ducks for their eggs....I couldn't kill one.

Fast food for me is scrambled egg or freshly baked banana muffins. 

It is not possible to avoid all contaminated food or those devoid of nutritional value, but you can do your best to be careful. I take supplements too. I am not a fanatic, but I enjoy gardening and just try to be as healthy as possible.

My hat is off to you then...

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 11:06:28 AM »
Well, I think the results of this poll speak for themselves. Most Christians, are Christians who believe in God and His Son Jesus the Christ and accept science and evolution as viable.
I do not then suppose that we can dispense of the notion that science and Christianity are incompatible? I am really sick of hearing this nonsense, which is all it ever was, was nonsense.

Sure some people do not accept evolution. Some people are young Earth creationists, but these are the minority not the majority. Can we at least say that the real point of difference between Theists and Atheists are the belief that God exists and not the BS that Christians believe in God and therefore believe in a whole host of nonsensical horse pucky by default? Because the shoe can fit the other foot, it really can.

neopolitan

• 2879 Posts
  • They don't tolerate intolerance of bigotry here
    • neopolitan's philosophical
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »
Well, I think the results of this poll speak for themselves. Most Christians, are Christians who believe in God and His Son Jesus the Christ and accept science and evolution as viable.
I do not then suppose that we can dispense of the notion that science and Christianity are incompatible? I am really sick of hearing this nonsense, which is all it ever was, was nonsense.

Sure some people do not accept evolution. Some people are young Earth creationists, but these are the minority not the majority. Can we at least say that the real point of difference between Theists and Atheists are the belief that God exists and not the BS that Christians believe in God and therefore believe in a whole host of nonsensical horse pucky by default? Because the shoe can fit the other foot, it really can.

Yes please.  Can theists, therefore, deal with the ascientific among their numbers rather than standing idly by in what appears to be an "enemy of my enemy" sort of approach when people like Trinity try to leverage their ascientism in a bizarre attempt to prove a magical version of their god.

It would be bliss to be able to limit interaction to rational old universe, (loosely) guided evolution believing believers - ie people who profess to believe what the founder of RFF professes to believe.  Other's should be our mutual problem.

Jem

• 4509 Posts
  • Avid JW Bible Student
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »

Denying the evidence of the greatest scientist in existence is a bit silly. After all, if there was no creation, there would be no science.....not a thing to study and no one to study it. 
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace" Psalm 37:11

AnimatedDirt

• 7821 Posts
  • Alwys a sinner, Alwys penitent, Alwys right w/ God
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 02:30:53 PM »
Denying the evidence of the greatest scientist in existence is a bit silly. After all, if there was no creation, there would be no science.....not a thing to study and no one to study it.

Does some Christian deny creation happened?
People are amusing.

Jem

• 4509 Posts
  • Avid JW Bible Student
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 05:10:02 PM »

Does some Christian deny creation happened?

I don't think so...just perhaps swayed by the scientists as to "how" it happened.

Evolution was not the process God used in creation. Adaptation within a species does not prove that all life evolved from a single cell in the primordial soup and this was somehow the means God used to result in all the myriad lifeforms we see on this planet. Each exhibits deliberate design.

"For God’s wrath is being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who are suppressing the truth in an unrighteous way, 19 because what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them. 20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable. 21 For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their senseless hearts became darkened. 22 Although claiming they were wise, they became foolish 23 and turned the glory of the incorruptible God into something like the image of corruptible man and birds and four-footed creatures and reptiles." (Rom 1:18-23)