General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 5288 times

Poll

Where do you fit in?

I am a Christian and believe in Evolution and science.
21 (48.8%)
I am an Atheist and believe in Evolution and science.
10 (23.3%)
I am a Christian and do not believe in Evolution or science.
1 (2.3%)
I am a Atheist and do not believe in Evolution but believe in science.
0 (0%)
I am a Christian and believe in science but not Evolution.
4 (9.3%)
I am an Atheist and do not believe in Evolution or science.
0 (0%)
I am an Atheist and believe in science but not Evolution.
0 (0%)
Other. Explain...
5 (11.6%)
I believe in the flying spaghetti monster and the teapot around Mars.
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
Poll: Science and Religion. Where do you stand?
« on: February 26, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
I figure we can settle this with a poll. Something tells me it will not settle it, but what the heck, lets see where people stand anyway.
I am option 1.

Moot

• 4964 Posts
Re: Poll: Science and Religion. Where do you stand?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 02:44:59 PM »
I figure we can settle this with a poll. Something tells me it will not settle it, but what the heck, lets see where people stand anyway.
I am option 1.

You should probably explain what you mean by "believe in" in a bit more detail.

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »
I am option 1.

You should probably explain what you mean by "believe in" in a bit more detail.

Um, I would hope not. However people are more than welcome to drill down on what they mean in posts. Poll choices do not need to be a paragraph each.

Architecto

• 510 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
This is a great example of the reliability of polls. They are somewhat useful, but there are always people who don't take them seriously, or overthink the questions, etc.

Interesting.

BTW, Conservapedia says: The theory of evolution is a naturalistic theory of the history of life on earth (this refers to the theory of evolution which employs methodological naturalism and is taught in schools and universities).

Good ol' Conservapedia...

And, here is our oldest known ancestors remains:
The top one might be Adam, the other Eve...

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/47/14518.full.pdf

Aaron Massey

• 5542 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »
Im a christian who does not believe that Evolution is true in the Speciation sense. 
Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 07:08:59 AM »
I also had issues with the "believe in" phrasing but held my nose and voted as an atheist embracing both evolution and the rest of science.  Believe in misses the point because science isn't final.  New results can rightly overturn any theory.  I guess though you could say I believe that relying on the methodological naturalism of science makes the most sense for all empirical matters.

The other issue I had with the poll is stating I am an atheist when that too can mean so many things.  As far as I'm concerned I am just as open to new results overthrowing my atheism.  So I am an agnostic (provisional) atheist.  I'm also not an anti-theist.  The question of why god belief persists and has been around almost everywhere and for a very, very long time leaves me hesitant to pull the plug on it.  I find it an interesting question.  That doesn't mean I accept a fundamentalist concept of God as having a person-like subjective experience or as something existing anywhere but our own minds.

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »
Believe in and believe that.... are very different.

The poll is to narrow in many ways.

I am a Christian, I believe in Jesus Christ, and that he lived died, rose again etc......

I believe that science is a means of helping us understand the world etc. But it is not a "thing" of itself.
I don't believe in science in the way I believe in say a person who I know and trust.
Science helps us to believe that something is a certain way, but it cannot tell me why or how in many matters.

Evolution has many connotations.

On the one hand it is accepted that there is evolving within species, without negating God as the source and origin of life, creating the universe and its content.

On the other, evolutionists claim that naturalism, and the evolution process in the source of life and that God has no place.

So I have gone no to evolution but yes to science. But in and that still imply different aspects.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 07:39:29 AM »
I find it interesting and reassuring that the greatest number of people voting here voted as Christians believing in both evolution and the rest of science.  There may just be hope yet.

Architecto

• 510 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »
I find it interesting and reassuring that the greatest number of people voting here voted as Christians believing in both evolution and the rest of science.  There may just be hope yet.

Well, we have to leave open the idea that everyone knows it's silly to deny science at this point, and evolution is a result of science.... but I bet lots of the respondents reserve the right to modify the facts to suit their beliefs, and not that they believe what the actual scientists believe. 

They probably don't believe in science and evolution as those who study science and evolution..

Paterfamilia

• 6737 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 03:21:05 PM »

Well, we have to leave open the idea that everyone knows it's silly to deny science at this point, and evolution is a result of science.... but I bet lots of the respondents reserve the right to modify the facts to suit their beliefs, and not that they believe what the actual scientists believe. 

They probably don't believe in science and evolution as those who study science and evolution..

You're probably right about that.  But you can hardly blame them - how often do you see headlines like "New discovery causes scientists to re-think blah blah".
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »

You're probably right about that.  But you can hardly blame them - how often do you see headlines like "New discovery causes scientists to re-think blah blah".

Quite often, actually.  Scientists get excited when a new observation makes them revise a theory.  They want the truth, not just the status quo.  (It actually works very differently than theology in that sense.)

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »

Well, we have to leave open the idea that everyone knows it's silly to deny science at this point, and evolution is a result of science....

Are you ascribing attributes to science, as a means of giving life?
Evolution is a result of science?

So science is not a method of discovery and understanding how the world works, its actually a cause of itself?
Your attributing to science what we call God?
Science is therefore your god.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

Architecto

• 510 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »

Well, we have to leave open the idea that everyone knows it's silly to deny science at this point, and evolution is a result of science....

So science is not a method of discovery and understanding how the world works, its actually a cause of itself?

No. Clearly not. OK? Can we raise our level of discourse now?

john doe

• 919 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 08:26:38 PM »

No. Clearly not. OK? Can we raise our level of discourse now?

Have to admit I thought your phrasing (my bolding) was pretty ambiguous with an unintended implication that science actually cooked up evolution rather than deducing and revealing it.

But this is why I hate adversarial debate as a conversation form.  Assuming your intent was pretty obvious, I'd rather hear a response to that.

ReasonableRuben

• 2025 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 02:03:54 AM »
I voted A. but also have trouble thinking of how one "believes in" science. XD
Sometimes I sit and type, and sometimes I just sit.