General Discussion (Archived)

Apologetics and Theology

Read 5298 times

Poll

Where do you fit in?

I am a Christian and believe in Evolution and science.
21 (48.8%)
I am an Atheist and believe in Evolution and science.
10 (23.3%)
I am a Christian and do not believe in Evolution or science.
1 (2.3%)
I am a Atheist and do not believe in Evolution but believe in science.
0 (0%)
I am a Christian and believe in science but not Evolution.
4 (9.3%)
I am an Atheist and do not believe in Evolution or science.
0 (0%)
I am an Atheist and believe in science but not Evolution.
0 (0%)
Other. Explain...
5 (11.6%)
I believe in the flying spaghetti monster and the teapot around Mars.
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
Re: Poll: Science and Religion. Where do you stand?
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
Well, I think the results of this poll speak for themselves. Most Christians, are Christians who believe in God and His Son Jesus the Christ and accept science and evolution as viable.
I do not then suppose that we can dispense of the notion that science and Christianity are incompatible? I am really sick of hearing this nonsense, which is all it ever was, was nonsense.

Sure some people do not accept evolution. Some people are young Earth creationists, but these are the minority not the majority. Can we at least say that the real point of difference between Theists and Atheists are the belief that God exists and not the BS that Christians believe in God and therefore believe in a whole host of nonsensical horse pucky by default? Because the shoe can fit the other foot, it really can.

Yes please.  Can theists, therefore, deal with the ascientific among their numbers rather than standing idly by in what appears to be an "enemy of my enemy" sort of approach when people like Trinity try to leverage their ascientism in a bizarre attempt to prove a magical version of their god.

It would be bliss to be able to limit interaction to rational old universe, (loosely) guided evolution believing believers - ie people who profess to believe what the founder of RFF professes to believe.  Other's should be our mutual problem.

Sure. So can Atheists deal with the  illogical people who argue against flying spaghetti monsters and tea pots around Mars who rank among their numbers? Those who believe that existence is magical and deny causation while simultaneously leaning on science to prove things that are not the stuff of science?
Or can you whittle out those among Atheists who argue that the God of the Old Testament is a big evil meany, but at the same time deny objective moral values exist?
Whew! I am glad that's over with....  ::)

neopolitan

• 2879 Posts
  • They don't tolerate intolerance of bigotry here
    • neopolitan's philosophical
Re: Poll: Science and Religion. Where do you stand?
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
Sure. So can Atheists deal with the  illogical people who argue against flying spaghetti monsters and tea pots around Mars who rank among their numbers?

If there is anyone using FSM or The Great Tea Pot as more than a rhetorical device, you have my support 100% ... they are stupid beliefs - but I think that's their point.  (The Great Tea Pot does not orbit Mars, however.  But I'll support you in any argument against the Great Tea Pot, even heretical splinter groups.)

Those who believe that existence is magical and deny causation while simultaneously leaning on science to prove things that are not the stuff of science?

Yep, with you against Existential Magicalists and Magical Existentialists and Causal Denialists and Causational Deniers and any combination of those.  I'm not completely sure why it's my responsibility though.  These don't appear to be non-theist positions to me.  It's because we are taking up a common cause against the misuse of science, right?

Or can you whittle out those among Atheists who argue that the God of the Old Testament is a big evil meany, but at the same time deny objective moral values exist?

Not "or", "and".  Let's do it all.  Can I just clarify our objective here though.  We should be aiming, very tightly on atheists (no capitalisation please, unless we are talking about someone who follows the teachings of Athe, which would exclude me) "who argue that the god of the Old Testament is objectively a big evil meany, but at the same time deny objective moral values exist".  I could not, with good conscience, take up a sword against a fellow traveller who argued that "in a hypothetical situation characterised by the actual existence of objective moral values and actual existence of the god of the Old Testament, the god of the Old Testament would be, actually and objectively, a big evil meany"

Whew! I am glad that's over with....  ::)

Me too.  Let's give everyone some good new-fashioned scientific lurnin'.