Retired Boards (Archived)

Craig vs Carroll

Read 26394 times

kingston

• 25 Posts
Reaction
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:19:45 AM »
A friend mentioned the debate. I am just starting to watch the debate, 1/2 way through.  I keyed in on a few things so far. Carroll said that KCA was 2500 years old and in a way I felt was meant to be condescending, suggested that we now use differential equations. Isn't that the same type of stuff Leibniz invented 300 years ago and wasn't Leibniz a believer? KCA or differential equations stand or fall on merit, not age.

Further, Carroll started rambling about how "his personal version of God" would be expected to do this and that, in his opinion. Paraphrased - One of the things was he believed, was that God would give us information about washing our hands to prevent germs etc.  As a matter of fact I believe the book of Numbers does go into great detail about washings hands, manufacturing a lye soap, safe food handling practices, and quarantine time periods.

kingston

• 25 Posts
Re: Reaction
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
I concluded the debate and it's quite clear WLC intellectually destroyed the unbeliever.

To recap- Theism/Christianity is well defined because Agency is the logical conclusion. Carroll's views consist of dozens or more of various and oftentimes incompatible/contradictory unproven theories, conveniently used to change horses in midstream, as often as intellectual dishonesty is required/needed to explain what everyone can see with their own eyes ie reality.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:03:08 PM by kingston »

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
I concluded the debate and it's quite clear WLC intellectually destroyed the unbeliever.

To recap- Theism/Christianity is well defined because Agency is the logical conclusion. Carroll's views consist of dozens or more of various and oftentimes incompatible/contradictory unproven theories, conveniently used to change horses in midstream, as often as intellectual dishonesty is required/needed to explain what everyone can see with their own eyes ie reality.

Yeah, you're just wrong.  Craig lost the moment Carroll started talking actual science, rather than Craig's blinkered version of it.

joppe

• 409 Posts
  • I am a protestant
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »
Yeah, you're just wrong.  Craig lost the moment Carroll started talking actual science, rather than Craig's blinkered version of it.

As an engineer student, I find what Craig is saying science too. Are you redefining science in some way? Surely, Craig uses philosophy AND science together so it might confuse people.
Saying you 'merely lack belief' in God while arguing for naturalism is the same as saying you 'don't have a political opinion' while praising a political party.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:36:51 AM »

As an engineer student, I find what Craig is saying science too. Are you redefining science in some way? Surely, Craig uses philosophy AND science together so it might confuse people.

No.  He'll try to use some science if he thinks it bolsters his argument, but the minute it doesn't, Craig's got no use for it.

For example, the KCA:  for years now Craig's been using a particular interpretation of cosmology because he thinks it's working for him - BGV theorem.  But then Vilenkin starts saying things that prove Craig DEAD WRONG, prove he's got no idea what he's talking about and show him up for the hack he is.  Craig's response?  Shamelessly criticize Vilenkin.  Same with Bart Ehrman - Craig will use him as a source when it suits him but trash him when it suits him as well.  Craig's a joke.  He makes me laugh.

As an engineering GRADUATE he's not talking science.  Ever see a scientist take his side?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:44:40 AM by osmosis321 »

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
Alexander Vilenkin Agrees with William Lane Craig´s  BGV theorem representation[/url]

That's not to say he agrees with Craig's conclusions.  In fact, as I mentioned, Craig shamelessly trashed him when he started saying so.  Just like he used Barth Ehrman was a good source for him to use when it suited him, but then when it no longer suited him suddenly Erhman's wrong wrong wrong..

"BGV Theorem does not say that the universe began to exist; it says that inflationary models are past-incomplete, and require new physics to describe the boundary condition."
  - http://www.theaunicornist.com/2012/10/how-william-lane-craig-misrepresents.html

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Vilenkin, 2012 at Hakwing´s birthday event: "Did the universe have a beginning? my answer is probably yes,.., there are no models, at this time, that provide a satisfactory answer for a universe with out a beginning..."

I'm about halfway through this, and regardless of conclusions, thank you for pointing me to it.  It's great.

It is, however, beside my actual point, which is that Craig wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Fred

• 8550 Posts
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »

Vilenkin, 2012 at Hakwing´s birthday event: "Did the universe have a beginning? my answer is probably yes,.., there are no models, at this time, that provide a satisfactory answer for a universe with out a beginning..."
The problem with this is that Craig and Vilenkin have different ideas about what it means for the universe to have a beginning.  Vilenkin does not believe the universe began to exist from a complete absence of everything; rather - he believes the universe began to exist as a consequence of the laws of nature - laws that did not (themselves) begin to exist (Vilenkin discusses this in his book). Craig twists Vilenkin's words into meaning more than Vilenkin ever intended (and I can't imagine that Craig is unaware, so his continuing to quote him seems disingenuous).

The KCA fails because it is dependent on a conceptual framework that is suspect.  Consider this: the KCA depends on the assumption that causation can occur atemporally.  This is a completely unproven assumption (one that seems ad hoc, to me), so what Craig is actually doing is replacing the unproven assumption of God's existence with just another unproven assumption.  This does not advance an honest enquiry into the question of God's existence.

What the KCA + framework DOES do is provide a coherent theistic metaphysics that is consistent with known science (for now, at least).  So I give Craig credit for this, but that's all it does.  It doesn't convince anyone unless they want to be convinced. 
Fred

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »
You said Vilenkin did not agree the Universe had a beginning:

Yes I said that, but at this point I'm prepared to concede that Vilenkin does agree.  Chalk up one for you.

I hope, you take pause before stating the same again.

No need, I've already moved on.  But if it makes you feel better, I'll set aside ten seconds tomorrow for you and your correctness.

If "Craig wants or not his cake and eat it too", I couldn´t care less

Fair enough!

Fred

• 8550 Posts
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:47:54 AM »
I agree that Vilenkin says the universe "had a beginning," but he does not mean it in the sense that Craig does:

In quantum theory, the universe could tunnel through the energy barrier and emerge on the other side...The initial state prior to the tunneling is a universe of vanishing radius, that is, no universe of all. There is no matter and no space in this very peculiar state. Also, there is no time. Time has meaning only if something is happening in the universe...And yet, the state of "nothing" cannot be identified with
absolute nothingness.[/u] The tunneling is described by the laws of quantum mechanics, and thus "nothing" should be subjected to these laws. The laws of [quantum] physics must have existed, even though there was no universe. -- Alexander Vilenkin, Many Worlds In One, page 179-181

Elsewhere in the book, Vilenkin discusses the fact that his theory also implies the multiverse:

...the world view that I have described in this book...asserts the existence of an infinite ensemble of universes, each containing a tapestry of regions with different particle physics. -- page 197

This is why I think Craig is being disingenuous when he quotes Vilenkin to support the notion that the universe had a beginning.  Craig equivocates on the meaning of "universe."  He needs it to mean the entirety of existence, inclusive of the fundamental laws of physics (including quantum physics), but Vilenkin clearly is not saying that quantum physics "began to exist." 

Relevant to the debate with Carroll, I'll point out that there is not a consensus among cosmologists that Vilenkin is even right that the past is finite.  Vilenkin is simply one scientist making an educated guess.  Carroll (and Alan Guth) disagree - and they are also cosmologists making educated guesses. 
Fred

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
Doesn't really matter anyway, at least not to the KCA.  Even if I grant that the universe did have an absolute beginning, and that everything we've ever come in contact with had a cause, it still would not follow that the universe itself had one.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 12:01:12 AM »
Busted.  You're a fool pretending to be wise, but you're not smart enough to fool me.

1st of all you just misrepresented the KCA argument, this is just an strawman.

I accurately represented the KCA.  Craig's KCA's it's first premise that "everything that comes into existence has a cause" this is a deductive argument based on everyday perception of causality.  It's essentially an appeal to 'common sense' which, science shows us, is meaningless.

Nevertheless, the  KCA is a deductive argument, if its premises are true, its conclusion is true, period.

Not exactly, you're assuming the argument is valid, and I don't agree that it is.  I think it merely invites the listener to conflate creation ex materia, with creation ex nihilo.  Furthermore I believe it consitutes a composition fallacy as a deductive argument.  Get it, DEDUCTIVE, COMPOSITION FALLACY?

I have noticed that you act as if you knew, and so confident, when you don´t even understand how arguments work, nor know much , if anything, of the science.

Pardon?  I think you must have confused me with yourself.  I know a great deal of science and "how arguments work."

when you are shown your assertions are plainly wrong and uninformed

Listen pal, you have not shown that.  Just because I thanked you for showing me a video I'd never seen before, does not mean that I'm suddenly your bitch and you can condescend to me like this.  The fact that I was keenly interested in new information "regardless of conclusion" is the very reason you should think twice before you assume I'm your follower.

Being a little humble and intellectually honest wouldn´t hurt.

You.  Ignorant.  Ass.  I could say the very same to you and be even more right than you are.

I hope you get so frustrated, and upset at this, that you really go after it, study a lot, and, learn the philosophical and physical stuff, and show everybody.

Wow, you've really got this all backwards.  You're not here to school me, I'm going to school you:

Explain exactly how metaphysics is not contingent upon physics.  Explain how physical discoveries have no bearing on metaphysics whatsoever.  Explain why earth wind fire water and aether are still valid metaphysical concepts.

redtilt1

• 1722 Posts
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 04:05:27 AM »

I'm about halfway through this, and regardless of conclusions, thank you for pointing me to it.  It's great.

It is, however, beside my actual point, which is that Craig wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Your Welcome.

You said Carroll talked real science:

Fact:
Carroll mislead others in his debate with Craig, at least, in relevance to Boltzman´s brains (as Aguirre clearly states to Carroll´s face, in front of virtually every other recognized physicists, of the moment).

Carroll himself, states on one of the reference videos I posted: "So, you can get a universe,that just looks like our very early universe, from a very simple starting point, and since then, there´s been no better model that has come along" , even though, he argued different in the debate (based on unproven theoretical models, the one´s he refers as no better than the one starting from a very simple point, in the previous quote). So, in fact he mislead others, in more than just Boltzman´s brains respect.

You said Vilenkin did not agree the Universe had a beginning:

Fact:
Vilenkin made the most comprehensive study of the types of theoretical models available, at the moment, and, concluded that probably the Universe had a beginning. And, states  and defends it in front of the most distinguished panel possible.

All the rest (Carroll used as support for his arguments) are "Feynman´s" guesses (hypothesis) that might turn out to be validated by observation or not.

If "Craig wants or not his cake and eat it too", I couldn´t care less, I am interested in the support for the premises of his, or other´s arguments.

Onto, I can’t see your videos but since Aguiire is the one main defenders of the idea that we do live in a multiverse and he also suggests that multiverse is eternal into the past I find it unlikely that Agguirre would side with Craig. Aguirre recently wrote a piece on this in Sky and Telescope. I suggest you read it:
1.   scipp.ucsc.edu/~aguirre/.../Where-Did-It-All-Come-From%3F.pdf

In fact it appears to me that it’s Craig that did the misrepresenting about Boltzmann brains. If you have an infinite multiverse ( as Guth and Vilenkin suggest) then Boltzmann brains and universes like ours both occur an infinite amount of time and so neither is more likely than the other. Unless that is, you pick a preferred measure of probability and picking that measure can determine properties of the multivere. This is what Carroll says and that’s with Guth and Vilenkin says here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.3778

“In an eternally inflating multiverse,
The numbers of normal observers and Boltzmann brains
Produced over the course of eternal inflation are both infinite.
They can be meaningfully compared only after
One adopts some prescription to regulate the infinities.”

Vilenkin has argued the universe had a beginning, but he argues it happened naturally without a cause. I find it amazing that Craig can stand on a stage and quote Vielnkin to back up premise 2 and then says no one would suggest a violation of premise 1. How does he have the nerve to do this?
Vilenkin review is not very comprehensive. He's analysed only three models (in the paper Criag quotes in 2012)1 eternal inflation and other cosmologists disagree with him on that; see Nomuira and Aguirre and Susskind for example. He also analysed the Ekpyrotic models and the emergent universe models. These models aren’t that popular in the literature anyway. I think more popular models are non singular bounce models and Vilenkin admitted that these models do violate his theorem. Bottom line is Vilenkin's opinion is not that relevant, what is relevant, is the consensus in the scientific literature. I would say Carroll has it right, there is no consensus. More importantly still is there is no empirical test of any of these theorems.
It was Craig that does the misleading.
Here are two more example I can think off the top of my head. Firstly he said quoted Aguirre tot ry and prove premise 2 but Aguire think the  universe is past eternal , he’s well known for this. He specifically attacked (in an intellectual way of course) vilenkin for  saying it wasn’t.  What Aguire was saying was that the emergent universe is not past eternal but that’s irrelevant as Aguirre doesn’t think the reason for an eternal past is based upon an emergent universe.
 Craig said Wall’s theorem proves a quantum gravity era has a beginning. It does not, Walls theorem is based upon semi classical gravity. Attempts at analysing the big bang using actual quantum gravity theories often predict only a short period of quantum gravity anyway and then a contracting universe prior to that so its irrelevant if the quantum gravity period is not eternal. There are plenty of papers out there that argue the universe is eternal and others that argue that it’s finite. What Craig does is pick the ones out that agree with him and says it’s been shown wit some degree of  confidence . Please, nothing about the quantum origins of our universe has been shown with any confidence.  Carroll pointed out that out and so he was the one that was being honest.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:15:58 AM by redtilt1 »

Fred

• 8550 Posts
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »

What ever Vilenkin thinks is the way the universe could have begun does not in any way retracts from the fact that his analysis conclusion is that the universe probably had a beginning. Nor the conclusion is tied in any way to Vilenkin´s preferred model.

I will not discuss the rest of the matter, because , that was not my objective at any point.

There are many accounts of causation, and no agreement on any of them, and Carroll´s argument of inadequacy is fluff, that´s all I will say.

Nice to hear from you Fred.

Best regards.
Thanks - it's always a pleasure to engage with smart people like you.

Sorry if this touches on some things you didn't want to discuss, but there's overlap.  I think what you're calling "fluff" is Carroll essentially calling Craig out on his assertion that a transcendent cause is necessary to explain a beginning of the universe.  Carroll hasn't said a transcendent cause is impossible, but merely that it's wrong to claim (or imply) that a transcendent cause is a logical necessity. If it's not a logical necessity, then what we really have is a search for the best (most plausible) explanation for the "beginning" (that ambiguous term).  The bottom line for Carroll is that it's all about the model, and there are certainly models that explain the "beginning" without any requirement for a transcendent cause, and there are also models that lack a "beginning."  He regards both sets of these models as more plausible than a model that dogmatically asserts a transcendent cause is necessary - which is basically what Craig does.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:22:56 AM by Fred »
Fred

Rick Dawkins

• 817 Posts
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »
Busted.  You're a fool pretending to be wise, but you're not smart enough to fool me.

1st of all you just misrepresented the KCA argument, this is just an strawman.

I accurately represented the KCA.  Craig's KCA's it's first premise that "everything that comes into existence has a cause" this is a deductive argument based on everyday perception of causality.  It's essentially an appeal to 'common sense' which, science shows us, is meaningless.

Nevertheless, the  KCA is a deductive argument, if its premises are true, its conclusion is true, period.

Not exactly, you're assuming the argument is valid, and I don't agree that it is.  I think it merely invites the listener to conflate creation ex materia, with creation ex nihilo.  Furthermore I believe it consitutes a composition fallacy as a deductive argument.  Get it, DEDUCTIVE, COMPOSITION FALLACY?

I have noticed that you act as if you knew, and so confident, when you don´t even understand how arguments work, nor know much , if anything, of the science.

Pardon?  I think you must have confused me with yourself.  I know a great deal of science and "how arguments work."

when you are shown your assertions are plainly wrong and uninformed

Listen pal, you have not shown that.  Just because I thanked you for showing me a video I'd never seen before, does not mean that I'm suddenly your bitch and you can condescend to me like this.  The fact that I was keenly interested in new information "regardless of conclusion" is the very reason you should think twice before you assume I'm your follower.

Being a little humble and intellectually honest wouldn´t hurt.

You.  Ignorant.  Ass.  I could say the very same to you and be even more right than you are.

I hope you get so frustrated, and upset at this, that you really go after it, study a lot, and, learn the philosophical and physical stuff, and show everybody.

Wow, you've really got this all backwards.  You're not here to school me, I'm going to school you:

Explain exactly how metaphysics is not contingent upon physics.  Explain how physical discoveries have no bearing on metaphysics whatsoever.  Explain why earth wind fire water and aether are still valid metaphysical concepts.

"I accurately represented the KCA.  Craig's KCA's it's first premise that "everything that comes into existence has a cause" this is a deductive argument based on everyday perception of causality.  It's essentially an appeal to 'common sense' which, science shows us, is meaningless."

so show me many examples of things which dont have a cause and exist or occur, in fact go further, show me the statistical weight of things which  begin to occur with no cause, against the things which begin to ocur which have a cause.