Retired Boards (Archived)

Craig vs Carroll

Read 63770 times

Lambert

• 916 Posts
Re: A Couple of Fair Questions
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
What we call the universe is the greater whole of what we see . . . but still remains an empty hole for other things 'to be' and they make up the laws that govern them, just as Lord God has his say in every 'thing' and God just watches the show go on and actually is entertained by it all and therefore called it good with no opposite in bad.

This is just an assertion with ZERO evidence.

Well I am the one who holds that the universe does not exist in the same way that causation does not exist.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »
Well I am the one who holds that the universe does not exist in the same way that causation does not exist.

You can hold to that all you like.  Being wrong, is your right.

Lambert

• 916 Posts
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »

You can hold to that all you like.  Being wrong, is your right.

Show me the universe and show me causation.

We are talking about existing, are we not?

Please show me, . . . take your time.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »

Show me the opposite.  All I can tell you is you need to actually listen to the actual scientists because they are the actual experts.  Not Craig.  And among the actual experts (which I'm sadly not one) they do NOT agree with Craig.

Sadly, no, we're not really talking about existing, I find my time on here is spent mainly having evidence demanded of me to refute that which Craig pulled straight out of his ass with NO evidence.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:39:53 PM by osmosis321 »

Lambert

• 916 Posts
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »

Show me the opposite.  All I can tell you is you need to actually listen to the actual scientists because they are the actual experts.  Not Craig.  And among the actual experts (which I'm sadly not one) they do NOT agree with Craig.

Sadly, no, we're not really talking about existing, I find my time on here is spent mainly having evidence demanded of me to refute that which Craig pulled straight out of his ass with NO evidence.

I never read one single line by Craig and never will, and already know he is wrong before he starts, simple because those who know do not say and those who say do not know.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »
I never read one single line by Craig and never will, and already know he is wrong before he starts, simple because those who know do not say and those who say do not know.

I like this  ;D

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »

How do you know it's wrong if you never read it? That's absurd.

Lambert

• 916 Posts
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »

Because it is true what I wrote here above. He has just snippets of truth that he runs away with but does not see the whole or he would not tear it apart and get lost in it himself.

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »

Because it is true what I wrote here above. He has just snippets of truth that he runs away with but does not see the whole or he would not tear it apart and get lost in it himself.

How would you know that, if you never read it? Or is it that you cannot read it because it does not in fact exist? As this forum does not exist, nor do I.

steve hinrichs

• 25 Posts
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »

Physicist define time by atomic events such as an atomic clock that uses an electronic transition frequency in as a frequency standard for its timekeeping element.  So by this definition of time if there is no atoms or physical stuff for atomic activity, then there is no basis for defining this kind of time.  So when saying “When the stuff of the universe first existed is the first moment in time” is just a statement of this kind of time.  An argument achieved by just stating the definition is a Rhetoric Tautology.  Consequently, the statement conveys no useful information regardless of its length or complexity making it unfalsifiable. It is a way of formulating a description such that masquerades as an explanation when the real reason for the phenomena cannot be independently derived.

Tautology (rhetoric) ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautology_%28rhetoric%29

This is just what Carroll did in the quote below.  He has formulated an unfalsifiable argument on which he can make the “popping into existence any physical stuff” sound not so implausible.  Since by this kind of time there is no atomic or energy events before the atomic or energy existed one can just we do not need to worry about how they came into existence because by this definition of time there is no time before they existed.

Carroll -  “Again, I tried to explain what makes the universe different but more importantly the phrase “popping into existence” is not the right one to use when you’re talking about the universe. It sounds as if it’s something that happens in time but that’s not the right way to do it because there’s no before the beginning, if there’s a beginning. The correct thing to say is there was a first moment of time.  When you say it that way it doesn’t’ sound so implausible.”

Scientist are not supposed to promote unfalsifiable arguments.

If there is something else besides physical stuff that caused the physical stuff to come into existence, then I do not see any reason why this non-natural something could have sequential events so a time could be defined by it’s sequential events and this time would be related to atomic time by the time when it caused the physical stuff to come into existence.

Hinrichs Webpage  http://home.roadrunner.com/~rrr33/homepage.html

Rob Heusdens

• 179 Posts
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »

Of course, we can easily make the claim that IF something began to exist and it IF it has a cause, that cause cannot carry the properties of what began to exist (otherwise it did not, in fact, begin to exist).

Any thoughts?

Your claim that the big bang was an absolute begin of the universe is not justified.

Further your second claim which I quoted here is also unjustified.

Two people making a baby, do carry their genes onto the newborn child.

Rick Dawkins

• 817 Posts
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
its an atheist fallacy of saying things done begin to exist because everything was already here, i have some water and i have a piece of iron, the iron has been poikished and well oiled, but now i have decided to rub the oil off and drop it into the water.

The reaction of the iron rusting will begin to exist at some point in my experiment.

or occur, either way to argue against causality  in the common atheistic way is absolutly absurd, you have many existing occurences ,or, and effects. Everything in life is so seemingly.

-------
Hers another one  in all observable science experiments you need time, for an occurance or an effect, the big bang has no zero time, because time doesnt exist, so the big bang according to all observable science did  not and cannot exist/occur

dorel

• 61 Posts
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2014, 04:24:40 AM »

Any thoughts?
[/quote]
the argument is that " everything that has a BEGINNING has a cause"
not that everything has to have a cause.
actually the theist claim is that god exist without a cause, without a beginning.
the universe has a beginning, so its need a cause for this beginning.
if the universe is eternal, don't begin to exist and no cause is needed to explain his existence

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »

Physicist define time by atomic events such as an atomic clock that uses an electronic transition frequency in as a frequency standard for its timekeeping element.  So by this definition of time if there is no atoms or physical stuff for atomic activity, then there is no basis for defining this kind of time.  So when saying “When the stuff of the universe first existed is the first moment in time” is just a statement of this kind of time.  An argument achieved by just stating the definition is a Rhetoric Tautology.  Consequently, the statement conveys no useful information regardless of its length or complexity making it unfalsifiable. It is a way of formulating a description such that masquerades as an explanation when the real reason for the phenomena cannot be independently derived.

This is just what Carroll did in the quote below.  He has formulated an unfalsifiable argument on which he can make the “popping into existence any physical stuff” sound not so implausible.  Since by this kind of time there is no atomic or energy events before the atomic or energy existed one can just we do not need to worry about how they came into existence because by this definition of time there is no time before they existed.

Carroll -  “Again, I tried to explain what makes the universe different but more importantly the phrase “popping into existence” is not the right one to use when you’re talking about the universe. It sounds as if it’s something that happens in time but that’s not the right way to do it because there’s no before the beginning, if there’s a beginning. The correct thing to say is there was a first moment of time.  When you say it that way it doesn’t’ sound so implausible.”

If there is something else besides physical stuff that caused the physical stuff to come into existence, then I do not see any reason why this non-natural something could have sequential events so a time could be defined by it’s sequential events and this time would be related to atomic time by the time when it caused the physical stuff to come into existence.

What Carroll did was posit an unprovable maxim that fits a one possible model. It doesn't mean the universe didn't have an absolute beginning. It proves that it potentially may not have had an absolute beginning. Actually that's not true. The universe, by very definition of the term is defined by everything in it. So he shows that a model exists were there was something prior to the universe. But that doesn't negate cosmology, it kicks the causal can down the road. One can always asked "What caused it?", because by definition it's not uncaused. Carrolls argument is weak. That is why he had to start talking about social justice and homosexuals and such non-sense based on stereotypes of Christians. If his argument had any real teeth, he would not have to have resorted to tactics. The argument alone would suffice.

Rick Dawkins

• 817 Posts
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:38 PM »

What Carroll did was posit an unprovable maxim that fits a one possible model. It doesn't mean the universe didn't have an absolute beginning. It proves that it potentially may not have had an absolute beginning. Actually that's not true. The universe, by very definition of the term is defined by everything in it. So he shows that a model exists were there was something prior to the universe. But that doesn't negate cosmology, it kicks the causal can down the road. One can always asked "What caused it?", because by definition it's not uncaused. Carrolls argument is weak. That is why he had to start talking about social justice and homosexuals and such non-sense based on stereotypes of Christians. If his argument had any real teeth, he would not have to have resorted to tactics. The argument alone would suffice.

Exactly - the most logical start point for the universe is the big bang, just because cosmology cant yet fully explain how it happened doesnt change the fact that the big bang has most evidence and is most plausible etc, even if the bb was altered in some way, the start will remain the same , meaning that Our universe came into exist- its own time and space.

The Atheists may as well say they were actualy never born because that sperm and egg they were made from never had a begining .

Why bother useing the word Born, why bother having a date of birth ? since clearly its not the start is it , oh no, thats just so  illogical.

Then you get the evoloutionsists whinineing about species is just a man made term forall specie s are really the same.

They are continullly trying to dumb down stuff to suit themselves , and havent even got a clue of the fires they start, worse still, ive yet to see any credible arguement for why its ok to start blurring lines  and making non sense of the world .

There big bang nit pick with the kca is a fallacy for their convenience, its just a childish nit pick, made worse by the fact that they would rather support other theories such as multiverse  , which wouldnt even change the start of our own universe any way.

The list is endless with them, one minute they cry about evidence is important next minute they support a no evidence at all stance ,

Atheism should have sheer lunacy in its defintion.