Retired Boards (Archived)

Craig vs Carroll

Read 63756 times

Lambert

• 916 Posts
Re: A Couple of Fair Questions
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
While it may be a nice ambition to try and figure how the time, space and things came about as all three of these are needed at once to make each other known, I do not think that the most primitive mythologies had this in mind when they created their own genesis story.

To me, if LEM is natural law, the book of Genesis is the basic premise in life to come full circle in and satisfy LEM that no self-contradiction shall remain.

So having said this, are they not smarter to know this than any of us who do not see our book of Genesis as the starting point in life to come full circle in?

And If this is true, is it not wrong to look for empirical evidence to prove Genesis wrong? Is ToE the ambition of dummies here now to prove that LEM is still in effect for them?

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
This is not a "rule of the universe;" this a contraint on reality.
Nope.  Rule of this universe.  I highly doubt you even know what "constraint on reality" even means and I'm sure as heck not about to entertain anything you say on the subject.

to avoid the conclusion of a transcendent cause, one needs to posit the universe came into existence uncaused and our of nothing, I sincerely feel sorry for the athiest in that position.
You're just like Craig, in that you're not even wrong.  The universe didn't "come into existence" in the way you want to say it did.  Even if it did, it does not follow that it needed a cause because cause and effect is a rule of this universe, not a "constraint on reality" as you so laughably tried to claim.
You're also like Craig in that you're reduced to argument from personal incredulity and argument from ignorance.

Well, if I were Dr. Craig I would have brought the argument from contingency out to defend this. Then it doesn't matter how the universe came to be, under what conditions, whether there is a mutliverse. It deals with a very simple proposition, existence.
I am sorry but what I find more laughable is the invocation of a multiverse to solve the problem. Not only does it not solve the problem, it doesn't even attempt to. Worse, there is infinitely more evidence for the existence of God then there is a multiverse.  That's because there is none, zero, nada, niet evidence for a multiverse.
It's not interesting from the point that it merely has no evidence at all to support it, it's that such a belief is derived by people working in a discipline that demands evidence. That irony is not lost one me.

I am also befuddled by the fact that when the atheist makes the claim, that it was merely accident of quantum fluctuations in a quantum vacuum, that they don't realize it does not solve the problem. Adding another causal layer does not fulfill the need of a Creator.

And sorry, this idea that causation is not applicable to the Universe is a stretch at best. Carroll didn't even put forth an argument to defend it, he just said it like it's some truth. Why? Because the universe is weird. Weirdness does not do away with causation. That's a silly notion.
What he doesn't seem to grasp is that if you remove causation, you cannot study anything about the universe. All the models are based on causation. To say it suddenly doesn't exist undermines the method used to gain knowledge of the universe. I am a little surprised that Dr. Craig didn't pick that up immediately.

It speaks to the ultimate claim by atheists which is "We don't know how it got here, but we know it wasn't God!"
I don't purport to know the answer to how this universe came into existence, but there is one simple fact about existence. When it comes to existence, God did do it. It doesn't matter if it happens in space-time or not.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »

I am sorry but what I find more laughable is the invocation of a multiverse to solve the problem.
[/quote]

I never invoked it.  I'm not proposing a solution to the problem, I'm criticizing WLC's attempts to use a rule of this universe, which we know has exceptions and therefore isn't the actual rule, to account for the very origin of those rules.  You seem not to understand why this is wrong.

Adding another causal layer does not fulfill the need of a Creator.
Not even wrong.  There is not need of a creator, and in fact you are the one adding an unnecessary layer by pretending there is.

And sorry, this idea that causation is not applicable to the Universe is a stretch at best. Carroll didn't even put forth an argument to defend it, he just said it like it's some truth. Why?
It IS a truth.  The one stretching is you and other Craig followers.  Craig doesn't stretch because he KNOWS he's lying.  I've literally seen him claim the exact opposite.

I don't purport to know the answer to how this universe came into existence, but there is one simple fact about existence. When it comes to existence, God did do it.
Then you do, in fact, purport to know how the universe got here.  You're just like Craig, you say one thing and in the very same breath you'll say the opposite.

T-Herbert Jeffrey

• 15 Posts
  • Everyone is a genius at something.
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »
This is not a "rule of the universe;" this a contraint on reality.
Nope.  Rule of this universe.  I highly doubt you even know what "constraint on reality" even means and I'm sure as heck not about to entertain anything you say on the subject.

to avoid the conclusion of a transcendent cause, one needs to posit the universe came into existence uncaused and our of nothing, I sincerely feel sorry for the athiest in that position.
You're just like Craig, in that you're not even wrong.  The universe didn't "come into existence" in the way you want to say it did.  Even if it did, it does not follow that it needed a cause because cause and effect is a rule of this universe, not a "constraint on reality" as you so laughably tried to claim.
You're also like Craig in that you're reduced to argument from personal incredulity and argument from ignorance.

What would you wager on your doubt? What evidence do you have that made your doubt rationally merited? It seems to me your rational belief forming faculties are dreadfully flawed. If you applied the same skepticism to your doubt that you apply to a basic casual premise, I think you would realize your doubt is unmerited. Take some time to evaluate your own worldview.

Now on to proving I do know what I'm talking about, contraints on reality are easy to demonstrate. Can you make a square circle? No. You know why? Since a square circle is logically incoherent, it cannot be expressed in reality. Therefore, reality is constrained to not produce square circles. It's not a "law of the universe" that square circles can't exist, they just can't, in any possible world. Similarly, the fact that there is no logically coherent  world we can conceive of where things happen without causes, is evidence that this is a contraint on reality. If anyone is arguing from ignorance it is you, for I have reasons to think that things don't come into existence uncaused, while you can only say that no one knows, therefore it doesn't need a cause. I'm eager to see you demonstrate that something can come into existence uncaused and out of nothing. By the way, your "fallacy of composition" argument was in WLC's "10 objections so bad, I couldn't have made them up" segment on Youtube. I suggest you watch it. You'll realize that it is your objection that is truly laughable.

You also say that the universe "evolved." For that to be true, it would have to be eternal, but you can't be arguing that in light of Hilbert's Hotel and the logical absurdities of an actual infinite. Or can you?

God bless
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:16:09 PM by T-Herbert Jeffrey »
Everyone is a genius at something. Those whom we consider "smart" are just smart at what society considers important. But this says nothing to true intelligence. That being said, is Stephen Hawking any objectively smarter than Lebron James? Nope.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »
It's not a "law of the universe" that square circles can't exist, they just can't, in any possible world.

I see what you mean, but that's not a good example.  A square circle is self-contradictory, saying cause and effect is a physical reality not a metaphysical reality is not.  The burden of proof is squarely on your shoulders to demonstrate that cause and effect is metaphysically necessary.

I'm eager to see you demonstrate that something can come into existence uncaused and out of nothing.

You're eager for me to demonstrate what I'd have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to demonstrate?  Don't think so, pal.  You could of course do what I do which is listen to the experts, which in this case is Sean Carroll and most definitely not William Lame Craig.

By the way, your "fallacy of composition" argument was in WLC's "10 objections so bad, I couldn't have made them up"

I'm well aware of that but I'm also aware that, as Sean Carroll rightly pointed out, "he says he's not doing this, but then he does it" Craig talks out both sides of his mouth at the same time and doesn't have an intellectually honest bone in his body so I'm not too concerned.  For example, in the Arif Ahmed debate, he literally said, regarding existence, that it may not be a property but it is a great making property.  I couldn't make this up.  I've also seen Craig's clip where he says he's aghast at how primitive his opponents' arguments are, how they're unsophisticated, etc.  So again, don't really care, he's just an arrogant buffoon.  In the real world of real intellectuals, Craig's a joke.

You also say that the universe "evolved." For that to be true, it would have to be eternal

Say what?  That doesn't logically follow.  Anyways, the universe likely is eternal.  Our best and most current understand of the universe is that it did not, in fact, pop into existence at the big bang, which is yet another of WLC's strawman arguments.

Hilbert's Hotel?  Jeez, next you'll be blabbering on about Boltzmann Brains!

T-Herbert Jeffrey

• 15 Posts
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »
It's not a "law of the universe" that square circles can't exist, they just can't, in any possible world.

I see what you mean, but that's not a good example.  A square circle is self-contradictory, saying cause and effect is a physical reality not a metaphysical reality is not.  The burden of proof is squarely on your shoulders to demonstrate that cause and effect is metaphysically necessary.
[/quote]

That's a perfect example, and you hit the nail on the head. Causality itself is a metaphysical reality. The burden of proof is on you to show that it is possible that something can happen uncaused. Now, we are talking metaphysics here, so it doesn't cut it to say that the idea that things can happen uncaused is not logically contradictory in the way that a square circle is logically contradictory, and therefore it's possible. You need good reasons to think that something is metaphysically possible, therefore, for you to be rationally justified in thinking things to happen uncaused, you need to have good reasons. But you already admitted that demonstrating it would take a lot of money, which means you haven't done it yet.

I'm eager to see you demonstrate that something can come into existence uncaused and out of nothing.

You're eager for me to demonstrate what I'd have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to demonstrate?  Don't think so, pal.  You could of course do what I do which is listen to the experts, which in this case is Sean Carroll and most definitely not William Lame Craig.
[/quote]

Well, listening to the experts and believing what they say just because they said it would be a classic example of an argument from authority. We know there is a vested interest within the scientific community to shun any type of conclusion that may have religious implications. It's easy to demonstrate. Look at where rejecting the God conclusion takes scientists. To reject God they are rejecting causality itself. Some have even resorted to redefining absolute nothingness to fit a model someone created. I'd rather just say God exists, but, hey, I'm a senior in high school. What do I know about physics? I do know about philosophy though, and it tells me that out of nothing, nothing comes.

By the way, your "fallacy of composition" argument was in WLC's "10 objections so bad, I couldn't have made them up"

I'm well aware of that but I'm also aware that, as Sean Carroll rightly pointed out, "he says he's not doing this, but then he does it" Craig talks out both sides of his mouth at the same time and doesn't have an intellectually honest bone in his body so I'm not too concerned.  For example, in the Arif Ahmed debate, he literally said, regarding existence, that it may not be a property but it is a great making property.  I couldn't make this up.  I've also seen Craig's clip where he says he's aghast at how primitive his opponents' arguments are, how they're unsophisticated, etc.  So again, don't really care, he's just an arrogant buffoon.  In the real world of real intellectuals, Craig's a joke.
[/quote]

Well, I was reading ad hominems until you came to his debate with Dr. Ahmed. Now, I watched that debate and don't remember hearing him say that. Without going back and looking at it, thus not having the true context of when he said what you said he said, It seems to me that his supposed incredulity is just your misunderstanding of a nuance of the Modal Ontological Argument, of which I am a huge supporter and proponder. Now, it seems as if he was responding to Kant's "existence is not a predicate" objection to Anselm's version. But Craig is completely right: existence, as Kant pointed out, is not a property of things, but it can, in a way, be a great making property. That is to say, anything I imagine in my mind cannot gain the property of existence. Properties are things that distinguish something from another, which is to say, if A and B are the same, A and B will have the same properties in every possible world. What I think Craig was saying is existing in reality is not a property of things. Existing and not existing does not distinguish between A and B. I do exist in reality, but I'm me in any possible world, whether I exist or not. I do have a property of existence though, which is contingent existence. Properties of existence can distinguish one thing from another. If something had all my properties, but could not exist, that thing has impossible existence and therefore is not me. Great making properties are properties that are better to have than their negation, and indeed, although existence itself is not a property, necessary existence is a property and is better to have than either contingent or impossible existence.

WLC is scary smart. He has to be if people as brilliant as Alvin Plantiga hold him in high regard. Sam Harris even said it. In the philosophical intellectual arena, Craig is a force to be reckoned with. He even holds his own against professional, highly intelligent physicists. I dare Sean Carroll to discuss ethics or ontology with Craig. I would absolutely love to see that.

You also say that the universe "evolved." For that to be true, it would have to be eternal

Say what?  That doesn't logically follow.  Anyways, the universe likely is eternal.  Our best and most current understand of the universe is that it did not, in fact, pop into existence at the big bang, which is yet another of WLC's strawman arguments.
[/quote]

If the universe evolved, it had to evolve from something. Things don't evolve into existence out of nothing. The dog may have come from a horse, but there was something before the dog. The question is not when our universe came into existence, but rather "is time past incomplete?" You may be quoting Guth on the likelihood of an eternal universe, but this was probably some preference of his. I'm no expert in physics, so I don't plan to attempt to rationally discuss the BGV theorem.

[/quote] Hilbert's Hotel?  Jeez, next you'll be blabbering on about Boltzmann Brains!
[/quote]

Haha. They're good arguments sir. Using them is a privilege.

God bless
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:34:20 PM by T-Herbert Jeffrey »
Everyone is a genius at something. Those whom we consider "smart" are just smart at what society considers important. But this says nothing to true intelligence. That being said, is Stephen Hawking any objectively smarter than Lebron James? Nope.

dcherchenko

• 14 Posts
    • Resources for the skeptic
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »
Resources for the skeptic. CHECK THIS OUT: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZdtCKC2mUaKxL0_1Zf5BMO-un5ccKnad_JeLxXE3mIw/edit

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 11:56:31 PM »
Causality itself is a metaphysical reality.

No, it's a physical non-reality.  You cannot take a physical rule that we now know has exceptions and therefore isn't the rule, and declare by fiat that it's a metaphysical reality.  And no I don't shoulder a burden of proof you do.  It simply does not follow that because in the physical world we generally see cause and effect (generally but not always, remember) therefore cause and effect must have something to do with how cause and effect came into play.

WLC himself has said the same thing when it served his purpose so apparently the only one who disagrees is his followers!

I do know about philosophy though, and it tells me that out of nothing, nothing comes.

That is just a nonsensical statement.

But Craig is completely right: existence, as Kant pointed out, is not a property of things, but it can, in a way, be a great making property.

NOOOOO!  That is completely self-contradictory!  CAN'T YOU SE THAT?!  He's not right he's DEAD WRONG and probably KNOWS IT.

WLC is scary smart. He has to be if people as brilliant as Alvin Plantiga hold him in high regard.

No he's not, he's just smarter than you and so is able to fool you.  I don't believe anything he says for one second and deep down neither does he.  And Plantinga, frankly, is just another intellectually dishonest goon, although not as bad as Craig.  What's scary is their lack of integrity, not how smart they are.

If the universe evolved, it had to evolve from something.

Uhh, yeah, an earlier version of itself...?

You may be quoting Guth on the likelihood of an eternal universe, but this was probably some preference of his.

I love it.  When someone who ought to know, an actual expert, says something you don't want to hear, it's just his "preference" it's not because he's spent years studying it.  But when WLC takes science and distorts it beyond all recognition, contradicts himself and makes ridiculously fallacious arguments, we should take that seriously.  Totally love it.

No they're terrible arguments and if you understood them you'd be ashamed for parroting them.

David Y

• 10 Posts
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 06:55:42 AM »
Interesting conversation.  My own thread, to which no one replied, is along a similar line of thinking.    :P

I guess I have a couple of questions about this whole causality idea. 

- Are there real, demonstrated exceptions to this causal principle in the natural world?  I mean, I've heard the quantum tunneling ideas, which are interpretations of equations as far as I know. 
But let's assume that this is occurring. So, in the instance of particles seemingly fluctuating in and out of existence...can I remove the quantum vacuum and/or the laws...and still get the particles"?  If not, is this truly coming into existence without any cause???

Can Stephen Hawking claim that the universe came into existence without a cause while simultaneously appealing to laws like gravity as a precursor (or a simultaneous cause) to that universe? 

I don't think so, but I am not a quantum physicist, and am happy to be enlightened!

-  Does not the scientist assume causality as a metaphysical principle even while supposedly demonstrating that things come into existence without causes at the quantum level?  The results of the experiment are because of the experiment, the observer effect, etc. It seems like causality is a philosophical/metaphysical principle, and not a scientific/empirical one, as it informs the scientific method itself.

Just my two cents, let me know what you think!

David

T-Herbert Jeffrey

• 15 Posts
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 08:14:41 AM »
quote author=osmosis321 link=topic=6025374.msg1275253757#msg1275253757 date=1395294991]
Causality itself is a metaphysical reality.

No, it's a physical non-reality.  You cannot take a physical rule that we now know has exceptions and therefore isn't the rule, and declare by fiat that it's a metaphysical reality.  And no I don't shoulder a burden of proof you do.  It simply does not follow that because in the physical world we generally see cause and effect (generally but not always, remember) therefore cause and effect must have something to do with how cause and effect came into play.

Why do you think it is a physical rule? You just can't assume that and expect me to take all of the burden of proof. It is you who is saying that causality is a product of the universe. In case you have not gotten it by now, your position is self referentially incoherent. For to say that causality itself is a physical reality presupposes causality: On your view, the universe caused causality. For that reason, and more, I can rationally say causality is a metaphysical reality. Your argument is still reduced to an argument from ignorance, for you say that since we are not 100% sure about the nature of causality then therefore it is physical.

I do know about philosophy though, and it tells me that out of nothing, nothing comes.

That is just a nonsensical statement.

Oh my gosh. Does nothing not have the potential to do nothing? How can one rationally believe the universe came out of absolute nothing? Is this the result of atheism? How far will atheists go to deny God's existence? I'm completely dumbfounded. Well, not really. The Bible says that only the fool says in his heart there is no God. This series of events should actually make sense! It does make sense now.

But Craig is completely right: existence, as Kant pointed out, is not a property of things, but it can, in a way, be a great making property.

NOOOOO!  That is completely self-contradictory!  CAN'T YOU SE THAT?!  He's not right he's DEAD WRONG and probably KNOWS IT.

Did you not read my explanation. The existence of things is not a property, but properties of existence are properties of things. For if A and B are the same in every possible world, but A exists necessarily while B exists contingently, it follows that A and B are not the same thing.

WLC is scary smart. He has to be if people as brilliant as Alvin Plantiga hold him in high regard.

No he's not, he's just smarter than you and so is able to fool you.  I don't believe anything he says for one second and deep down neither does he.  And Plantinga, frankly, is just another intellectually dishonest goon, although not as bad as Craig.  What's scary is their lack of integrity, not how smart they are.

He's "smarter than me." aye? And you're smarter than him? I suggest you read my footer. Plantinga is disingenuous? Could I not just assert that about any of the professionals of your side? Please stop asserting, and start supporting.

If the universe evolved, it had to evolve from something.

Uhh, yeah, an earlier version of itself...?

That was my point. It can't evolve from nothing, so tis entails that the universe is eternal.

You may be quoting Guth on the likelihood of an eternal universe, but this was probably some preference of his.

I love it.  When someone who ought to know, an actual expert, says something you don't want to hear, it's just his "preference" it's not because he's spent years studying it.  But when WLC takes science and distorts it beyond all recognition, contradicts himself and makes ridiculously fallacious arguments, we should take that seriously.  Totally love it.

It's not that he's saying something I don't want to hear. It's that he came up with a theorem that supports the finitude of the universe, and then he said it's likely eternal. This is evidence that this is a preference of his. Maybe he expects to find some evidence of the universe's eternality.

No they're terrible arguments and if you understood them you'd be ashamed for parroting them.

Hmm. So I expect you to show me how Hilbert's Hotel is terrible. I'll be patiently awaiting your response.

God bless

T-Herbert Jeffrey

• 15 Posts
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
Interesting conversation.  My own thread, to which no one replied, is along a similar line of thinking.    :P

I guess I have a couple of questions about this whole causality idea. 

- Are there real, demonstrated exceptions to this causal principle in the natural world?  I mean, I've heard the quantum tunneling ideas, which are interpretations of equations as far as I know. 
But let's assume that this is occurring. So, in the instance of particles seemingly fluctuating in and out of existence...can I remove the quantum vacuum and/or the laws...and still get the particles"?  If not, is this truly coming into existence without any cause???

Can Stephen Hawking claim that the universe came into existence without a cause while simultaneously appealing to laws like gravity as a precursor (or a simultaneous cause) to that universe? 

I don't think so, but I am not a quantum physicist, and am happy to be enlightened!

-  Does not the scientist assume causality as a metaphysical principle even while supposedly demonstrating that things come into existence without causes at the quantum level?  The results of the experiment are because of the experiment, the observer effect, etc. It seems like causality is a philosophical/metaphysical principle, and not a scientific/empirical one, as it informs the scientific method itself.

Just my two cents, let me know what you think!

David

I just read your post. Now, I'm no physicist. I love math, but absolutely detest the idea of being a professional physicist. I would much rather argue for God from the moral or ontological argument. My background in physics is just not compressive enough for me to be comfortable rationally discussing quantum physics. As far as someone demonstrating an exception to the causal principal in the actual world, no such evidence has been presented that I've seen. I actually search for this stuff on Google. I can't really imagine any non pseudo intellectual attempt at presenting things without causes. The virtual particles, to my understanding, don't present a challenge to causality.

As far as Stephen Hawking goes, John Lennox and Ravi Zacharias have useful, lengthy responses to his assertions on Youtube. 

Causality is a metaphysical principal. You can refer to my argument in my last post on this to evaluate my thinking. I agree with you on all of your points.

God bless

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »
Why do you think it is a physical rule?

Pay closer attention, please.  I said it's a physical non-rule.  It's something we formerly considered a rule but no longer do, because, well, science.  As Carroll rightly pointed out, your metaphysics must follow your physics.  I do not bear a burden of proof here, you bear a burden of self-education.

On your view, the universe caused causality.

No, on my view, causality is an apparent effect of the universe - a result of it's properties.  Just as there's no such thing as "before time," there's no such thing as "the cause of causality."  And again, we now know that causality is not actually the unbreakable rule we once thought it was.

I can rationally say causality is a metaphysical reality.

Not nowadays you can't, unless you're just ignorant of modern science.

How can one rationally believe the universe came out of absolute nothing?

Argument from personal incredulity.  What puzzles me is how can one rationally believe positing god in any way solves the problem.

Is this the result of atheism? How far will atheists go to deny God's existence?

You say that like "this" is a bad thing.  I'm not going out of my way to deny your god's existence, there's just no evidence for him.  If he actually existed I'd want to know about him but there's no good reason to think he does.

I'm completely dumbfounded. Well, not really. The Bible says that only the fool says in his heart there is no God. This series of events should actually make sense! It does make sense now.

That's just a feeble (and insulting) way of escaping the problem at hand.

Did you not read my explanation. The existence of things is not a property, but properties of existence are properties of things. For if A and B are the same in every possible world, but A exists necessarily while B exists contingently, it follows that A and B are not the same thing.

Yes I read it and it makes as little sense now as it did then.  Existence is not a property.  End of story

This is evidence that this is a preference of his.

No, this is evidence you're grasping at straws and don't know what you're talking about.

I expect you to show me how Hilbert's Hotel is terrible.

First, I expect you to show me Hilbert's Hotel is relevant to this discussion.

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »

I am sorry but what I find more laughable is the invocation of a multiverse to solve the problem.

I never invoked it.  I'm not proposing a solution to the problem, I'm criticizing WLC's attempts to use a rule of this universe, which we know has exceptions and therefore isn't the actual rule, to account for the very origin of those rules.  You seem not to understand why this is wrong.
I was criticizing Carroll's invocation of it..
Adding another causal layer does not fulfill the need of a Creator.
Not even wrong.  There is not need of a creator, and in fact you are the one adding an unnecessary layer by pretending there is.
Trying to eliminate one makes the argument circular. If you want an argument to be logically correct, a creative actant is necessary. Eliminating such a thing would make the argument fallacious.
And sorry, this idea that causation is not applicable to the Universe is a stretch at best. Carroll didn't even put forth an argument to defend it, he just said it like it's some truth. Why?
It IS a truth.  The one stretching is you and other Craig followers.  Craig doesn't stretch because he KNOWS he's lying.  I've literally seen him claim the exact opposite.

I don't purport to know the answer to how this universe came into existence, but there is one simple fact about existence. When it comes to existence, God did do it.
Then you do, in fact, purport to know how the universe got here.  You're just like Craig, you say one thing and in the very same breath you'll say the opposite.
I don't know the mechanism, I know it's caused. You cannot just eliminate causal reality willy-nilly. Where did it go? What arbitrary point eliminates causation?
Without causation, none of Carroll's models would even work. Science needs causation as a fact or it won't work.

osmosis321

• 148 Posts
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Trying to eliminate one makes the argument circular. If you want an argument to be logically correct, a creative actant is necessary. Eliminating such a thing would make the argument fallacious.

You'll have to give a specific example I don't know what you mean.

I don't know the mechanism, I know it's caused.

There you go again, not making sense.  If you don't know then how do you know?

You cannot just eliminate causal reality willy-nilly. Where did it go?

It disappeared in a puff of logic.  Scientists realized it was insufficient and unnecessary to describe reality.  Make no mistake, I did not dispense with it, science did.

Without causation, none of Carroll's models would even work.

I bet you 100 American dollars Carroll will disagree.

Science needs causation as a fact or it won't work.
Not even wrong.

pat1911

• 1924 Posts
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »

You'll have to give a specific example I don't know what you mean.
You have to understand the nature of the cosmological form. There is no way to conclude anything but a Necessary Being from the given premises. If you try to replace a 'Necessary Being' with another contingent entity or an infinite regress, you make the argument invalid.
I don't know the mechanism, I know it's caused.

There you go again, not making sense.  If you don't know then how do you know?

You cannot just eliminate causal reality willy-nilly. Where did it go?

It disappeared in a puff of logic.  Scientists realized it was insufficient and unnecessary to describe reality.  Make no mistake, I did not dispense with it, science did.
Well, you'd need to be very specific. What study, what scientific revelation disposed of causation? Anybody making such a claim needs to understand they undermine very basic logical necessities. There is no way to explicitly determine 'caused from nothing' or 'exists for no reason'. There is no scientific model, or principle, or observation that has ever showed causation does not exist.
The implications of such a thing would be much more devastating to science itself than it would be for theistic arguments.
Without causation, none of Dr. Carroll's models would even work. He even demonstrated this absurdity when he said. 'There is a reason, the is no reason.' No there is not, if there is no reason, there is not a reason for it. He doesn't understand the argument, clearly, if that's what he thinks. That's nothing more complicated than shooting one's self in the foot.
Now I will be fair and look at the evidence if there is even a shred that disposes of causation. If you have such a thing, please present it and I will consider it. Being one who keeps up with such things, I haven't seen it.
Really, such a statement, is nothing more than a leap of faith, and wishful thinking that maybe somewhere somehow, there is a moment where causal reality is suspended. It's really nothing more than that.
[/quote]

Without causation, none of Carroll's models would even work.

I bet you 100 American dollars Carroll will disagree.
[/quote]
I bet the same amount that he misunderstand the concept at it's core if he thinks such a thing. Think about what models are. A set of variables in conditional contingencies in order to get a result. You cannot do any of that without causation. I agree with you that Carroll may disagree, but I don't think he can be intellectually honest and maintain it when faced with such a reality. A model is causal in it's nature.
Science needs causation as a fact or it won't work.
Not even wrong.
I reckon you meant to disagree? The proof is in the pudding. Try to do any kind of science with out causal implication. It's impossible. You cannot even start.