Retired Boards (Archived)

Trinity

Read 9517 times

Aaron Massey

• 5542 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
Analogys to explain trinity..
« on: December 25, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
Im not a trinitarian, but i was just thinking about what makes a good analogy to explain it.

I was intrigue with the way Jesus Human side and Divine side was explained by the church of the east, instead of oil and water, it was Water and wine.

Anyway.. this made me think that explaining the trinity would be easier through cocktails.

I found a cocktail that is also appropriately named too.

The Three Wise Men:
In a tumbler, pour
1 part Scotch Whisky (e.g., Johnnie Walker Red or Black Label).
1 part Tennessee Whiskey (e.g., Jack Daniels).
1 part Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey (e.g., Jim Beam White or Black Label).
Serve either neat or on the rocks, according to taste.

Theses are essentially the same in spirit (grain alcohol), yet they are diffrent, one scottich, one kentucky, the other Tennessee (could be Irish even).

But they are not so diffrent that they done blend to form something greater than there individual parts. (if you like the cocktail that is)

Scotch is not Kentucky whiskey, but scotch is "the tree wise men cocktail"

Im happy to have the trinity explained to me over cocktails.

Any other cocktail analogys?
Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."

False Entity

• 1780 Posts
Re: Analogys to explain trinity..
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »
It seems that it is instead three separate things combining to create one, which when applied to God would be polytheism. I don't think any analogies can represent the Trinity, because the Trinity is paradoxical and cannot be represented in the real world. Just my opinion, of course.

Aaron Massey

• 5542 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:54:27 AM »
It seems that it is instead three separate things combining to create one, which when applied to God would be polytheism. I don't think any analogies can represent the Trinity, because the Trinity is paradoxical and cannot be represented in the real world. Just my opinion, of course.

I should have posted here ages ago..

But, They are the same in spirit, they dont blend, becuase they dont have to as they are allready the same in spirit. (grain alchol. )

But they each indivdually provide something diffrent to the drink.
Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."

False Entity

• 1780 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »

I should have posted here ages ago..

But, They are the same in spirit, they dont blend, becuase they dont have to as they are allready the same in spirit. (grain alchol. )

But they each indivdually provide something diffrent to the drink.

This was over two years ago... I don't even remember writing this. Lol.

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 04:30:49 AM »
Don't worry.  It was a bad analogy then, and it still is.  You see, those whiskeys aren't 100% alcohol, so you don't have three ingredients mixing to form a single drink.  You have sugars, and water, and some alcohol, and some wood tannins, and some dead yeast, and...
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

Aaron Massey

• 5542 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 07:24:46 AM »
Don't worry.  It was a bad analogy then, and it still is.  You see, those whiskeys aren't 100% alcohol, so you don't have three ingredients mixing to form a single drink.  You have sugars, and water, and some alcohol, and some wood tannins, and some dead yeast, and...

Also it could promote drinking amongst Trinitarians... look at me im doing Gods work.. Gulp.

Robert Harris

• 787 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
I do not think we need analogies to explain the Trinity. What I dislike about yours is it is three different whiskies coming together to make one drink. Christianity does not teach that three spirits (heh) came together to make one.
Who needs cable when you can watch Dr. Craig all day long on YouTube?
-ebeatworld

Aaron Massey

• 5542 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:03:18 AM »
I do not think we need analogies to explain the Trinity. What I dislike about yours is it is three different whiskies coming together to make one drink. Christianity does not teach that three spirits (heh) came together to make one.

Well the way my analogy goes is exactly as the trinity is described.

3 persons. (types of whiskey)  3all divine (all grain alchohol) 3 together are God ( 3 whiskey grain alchol form a single drink)     Yet seperatly they are 3 persons or (types of whiskey)   Scotch is not Irish, Irish is not Bourbon.. yet together they are a the three wise men.

noncontingent

• 1034 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »
"Analogies are good tools for explaining a concept to someone for the first time. But because analogies are imperfect they are the worst way to persuade. All discussions that involve analogies devolve into arguments about the quality of the analogy, not the underlying situation." - Scott Adams

jayceeii

• 1630 Posts
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
The squid and/or octopus offer what will be the best analogy to explain the Trinity. The Mind of God is vast, and out in space. God has trillions of arms of action that attend to the planet Earth and its creatures, performing many duties including encouraging the Christians as they seem to notice, praising the presence of the Spirit in their lives. These arms operate in semi-independence, for which the cephalopods offer a comprehensible analogy. Among these trillions of arms there is a specialized and powerful arm, that bears God’s own consciousness. This is the Incarnation. The other arms are called the “Holy Spirit,”  that meet the created souls with reduced power. The “Father,” then, is God’s Mind, overseeing everything. The “Holy Spirit” is the trillions of arms of action. The “Son” is not a son at all, but God’s literal presence in a human body, as Jesus suggested in John 14:9,  “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.” It is one God, in three “parts.”

noncontingent

• 1034 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
John 14:9,  “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father"

The reaction of the apostles is sufficient to know that this was not a claim of identity, but rather of purpose and mind.

The Trinity is an abomination. It clouds the minds of people who would try to understand God.

If you hadn't been taught the trinity it would never have occurred to you.

jayceeii

• 1630 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »
John 14:9,  “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father"

The reaction of the apostles is sufficient to know that this was not a claim of identity, but rather of purpose and mind.

The Trinity is an abomination. It clouds the minds of people who would try to understand God.

If you hadn't been taught the trinity it would never have occurred to you.
nc: The reaction of the apostles is sufficient to know that this was not a claim of identity, but rather of purpose and mind.

jc: Why would the reaction of the apostles have even the slightest bearing? Jesus is separate from them. He made a remark. The response is dictated by the quality of their being. Are they knowers, or are they ignorant? Who is competent to recognize the Lord?

nc: The Trinity is an abomination. It clouds the minds of people who would try to understand God.

jc: Jesus said it would go worse with those who blasphemed the Holy Spirit, but it is actually worse to blaspheme the Lord. There are no other manifestations of God to be seen on Earth. To blaspheme the Lord is to blaspheme one’s Maker, the pot maligning the potter. When the Maker strides His globe, it is a test to see who will welcome a real person, and who had darker purposes in mind for the planet, following self-will blindly.

nc: If you hadn't been taught the trinity it would never have occurred to you.

jc: True enough. This was a revealed doctrine, not seen in the other religions. Unfortunately, as I discuss here, men have not seen their minds can only think about what they can experience. Since there is no experience of God apart from the Lord, all those attempting to think about God are in fact thinking about themselves as a model, then trying to cast it large.